Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Plan Meals?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, how far in advance do you plan them?  I end up at the grocery store almost every day, and I buy on  a whim, I spend SO MUCH on groceries that it's ridiculous.  I'd say I easily spend at least $200 a week on groceries and it's just me and DS (and DS is with his Dad for a couple of days a week), and two dogs.  Plus I eat out for lunch EVERY day.  My food budget is out of control, I bet I spend at least $300 a week on food, probably more.  I live in a HCOL area, so food prices are outrageous here, but I bet I could cut y cost in half if I paid attention.  I may try cooking meals in advance, like lunch the night before, have certain dinners on certain days, etc.  So

Do you plan meals in advance?  How far in advance?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting yourpinkone:

Well, we rarely eat out, and DH and DS are human garbage disposals. 3 meals a day, plus snack after school (applesauce yogurt, chips and some junk) it adds up. I have 3 kids that are 90 percentile and higher in height. They eat a lot and drink a lot.and I refuse to buy organic. Welch's juice is fucking expensive! And yes they drink a lot of water too.

And California isn't very cheap either.

Plus I only buy tide detergent, because nothing else gets the stains out. Plus woolite for DHs dress shirts. I do 2 loads of laundry everyday. I spent $60 alone on detergent, but that should last me longer than a week. Lol.

yeah, I don't include households in my grocery budget.  And I won't skimp on the laundry detergent either.  You're a better woman than me though because I don't "woolite" my husband's work dress shirts.  I iron those fuckers, and that's enough.  Also, I don't buy much organic shit either.  

Notice of Fair Use: this comment may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not be specifically authorized by the copyright owner. In such a case, this material is made available in this comment for the advancement of journalism, education, comments, criticism, human rights and research and it is protected under the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

Djinn83
by I'm baaaack on May. 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM
He likes dark colored shirts, so I buy woolite for darks so it won't fade. I still have to iron them.

And my kids rarely will eat cereal for breakfast. They are snobs. They want biscuits, muffins, sausage (fresh not frozen, they won't eat it) turkey bacon, eggs, oatmeal (not instant) etc.

They also will not eat those kids meal tv dinners. Eh really piss me off sometimes. The only frozen foods they will eat is French fries and pizza, but it has to be digiorno
yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I'm sorry, my kids aren't picky at all.  They'll eat whatever the hell I put in front of them.  We don't do much frozen food anymore, I've been on a health kick.  Lots of fresh produce, ground turkey, and oatmeal.  

I love me some frozen french fries though.

And maybe I should consider the woolite.  Hubs does complain a lot about his shirts fading.

Quoting Djinn83:

He likes dark colored shirts, so I buy woolite for darks so it won't fade. I still have to iron them.

And my kids rarely will eat cereal for breakfast. They are snobs. They want biscuits, muffins, sausage (fresh not frozen, they won't eat it) turkey bacon, eggs, oatmeal (not instant) etc.

They also will not eat those kids meal tv dinners. Eh really piss me off sometimes. The only frozen foods they will eat is French fries and pizza, but it has to be digiorno

Notice of Fair Use: this comment may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not be specifically authorized by the copyright owner. In such a case, this material is made available in this comment for the advancement of journalism, education, comments, criticism, human rights and research and it is protected under the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

Djinn83
by I'm baaaack on May. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Also, they won't eat canned soups. It has to be homemade. So instead of spending 3 dollars on 3 Campbell's chicken noodle cans, I have to buy a bag of carrots, celery, onions, chicken broth, vegetable broth, chicken breast and egg noodles. Or for potato soup I need potatoes, onions, ground sausage, condensed milk, cream, cheese, bacon, and green onions, etc.

See how it adds up?
yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Jesus Fuck, dude.  I'm sorry.  But those soups sound AWESOME.

Quoting Djinn83:

Also, they won't eat canned soups. It has to be homemade. So instead of spending 3 dollars on 3 Campbell's chicken noodle cans, I have to buy a bag of carrots, celery, onions, chicken broth, vegetable broth, chicken breast and egg noodles. Or for potato soup I need potatoes, onions, ground sausage, condensed milk, cream, cheese, bacon, and green onions, etc.

See how it adds up?

Djinn83
by I'm baaaack on May. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Quoting yourpinkone:

I wish. I tried the, don't like it don't eat it stance. DS didn't eat for 2 days. He lost 5 lbs. I took him back to the pediatrician who told me to stop being lazy and cook.

I found a new pediatrician and gave in to homemade meals. Now that's all DD knows, so she refuses everything else.

They won't even eat boxed Mac and cheese. That's homemade too. DS will eat spaghettios though for lunch. Fucking vomit.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

Djinn83
by I'm baaaack on May. 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Quoting yourpinkone:

It's ok, I did it to myself. I never got home cooked meals as a child unless it was thanksgiving or Christmas. So I went on a non processed, non frozen bender for a few years. I formed my sons palette so to speak, now I have to deal with the consequences. Which means my other kids got used to it too.

When they are older I'm sure they will like fast food and frozen foods more. At least that is what I tell myself just to get through the day. Lol.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on May. 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

LOL Wtf!

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting yourpinkone:

I wish. I tried the, don't like it don't eat it stance. DS didn't eat for 2 days. He lost 5 lbs. I took him back to the pediatrician who told me to stop being lazy and cook.

I found a new pediatrician and gave in to homemade meals. Now that's all DD knows, so she refuses everything else.

They won't even eat boxed Mac and cheese. That's homemade too. DS will eat spaghettios though for lunch. Fucking vomit.

Djinn83
by I'm baaaack on May. 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM
He was a total asshole red. My son had chronic constipation. He said give him juice and he will go. I told him to take the screaming child until he does. He didn't shit for 4 weeks! Finally! He agreed to give me some meds, which he was opposed to because it makes him dependent on them.

Fucking military doctors. I paid out of pocket to see a civilian until we moved.
yourpinkone
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I do make the homemade mac-n-cheese, but I'm not afraid to make them eat a PB&J for dinner on occasion either.  And my kids prefer pretzels, fruit and cheese over potato chips and cupcakes, so if all I have to do is load a drawer in the fridge with cut up strawberries, a bag of grapes and some cheese sticks... I can't complain.  My kids eat like fucking birds though.  They're both in the 95th percentile for height, but skinny as rails.  I'm sure it'll change as they get older.

And your old pediatrician sounds like a piece of shit.  Ours is like, "feed 'em shrimp and grits."

DJ, I can't believe you breastfeed, cloth diaper, make all this homemade shit to feed your kids and you're able to get up and drag two little ones around while you drop your son off at school, etc.  That's a full load, love.  Props to you.  I don't think I could do that.

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting yourpinkone:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)