Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Plan Meals?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so, how far in advance do you plan them?  I end up at the grocery store almost every day, and I buy on  a whim, I spend SO MUCH on groceries that it's ridiculous.  I'd say I easily spend at least $200 a week on groceries and it's just me and DS (and DS is with his Dad for a couple of days a week), and two dogs.  Plus I eat out for lunch EVERY day.  My food budget is out of control, I bet I spend at least $300 a week on food, probably more.  I live in a HCOL area, so food prices are outrageous here, but I bet I could cut y cost in half if I paid attention.  I may try cooking meals in advance, like lunch the night before, have certain dinners on certain days, etc.  So

Do you plan meals in advance?  How far in advance?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
pauliewogmamma
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah! Dj is a badass!! =D

Quoting yourpinkone:

I do make the homemade mac-n-cheese, but I'm not afraid to make them eat a PB&J for dinner on occasion either.  And my kids prefer pretzels, fruit and cheese over potato chips and cupcakes, so if all I have to do is load a drawer in the fridge with cut up strawberries, a bag of grapes and some cheese sticks... I can't complain.  My kids eat like fucking birds though.  They're both in the 95th percentile for height, but skinny as rails.  I'm sure it'll change as they get older.

And your old pediatrician sounds like a piece of shit.  Ours is like, "feed 'em shrimp and grits."

DJ, I can't believe you breastfeed, cloth diaper, make all this homemade shit to feed your kids and you're able to get up and drag two little ones around while you drop your son off at school, etc.  That's a full load, love.  Props to you.  I don't think I could do that.

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting yourpinkone:

I wish. I tried the, don't like it don't eat it stance. DS didn't eat for 2 days. He lost 5 lbs. I took him back to the pediatrician who told me to stop being lazy and cook.

I found a new pediatrician and gave in to homemade meals. Now that's all DD knows, so she refuses everything else.

They won't even eat boxed Mac and cheese. That's homemade too. DS will eat spaghettios though for lunch. Fucking vomit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pauliewogmamma
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I have been slacking on meal planning lately but I need to do better. When I'm on it, I will make a plan of 6 dinners to make for the week and then make a list of everything I will need to make those meals. It helps at the grocery store a lot. Otherwise I spend too much and come home with what seems like nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Hahaha, thanks pink, but I didn't intend for it to be that way. DS problems came from milk protein intolerance. All my kids have it apparently. My two oldest grew out of it though. And within 1 day of using disposables, they get a nasty rash. They all refused formula, baby cereal, and will only eat jar baby food every once in awhile. I would love to say I do all this out of altruism, but in truth my kids are just difficult.
SeamusNBaby
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

My boys are beasts. 40 years old and 8 years old, and I swear they are going to eat me out of house and home! I do plan meals, but I need to have meat with every supper...if not they complain. And meat is soo expensive here in Quebec. Blah. So I run about 200$ every week for groceries, including toilet paper, cat food, litter and coffee (coffee is insanely expensive here.)

It'll go up even more once the baby gets here, what with diapers and baby necessities.

Farking groceries. Bane of my existence.

DarksMama
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I despise going to the grocery store. I have a ton of food issues, so shopping for me is easy. DH never really set up what he actaully likes, so I'm guessing unless he's with me. Then he changes his mind. Ugh.

And then this gem:

Me: Dude...if I had to CD and BF and all the other shit Djinn has to do, there'd never be another home made meal in this house ever again...

DH: So? You don't cook anyway.

Me: *jawdrop* Says the guy who got to eat dinner, but couldn't feed the baby for me so *I* could eat MY dinner. Instead, I get potato chips because my food was ruined.

DH: *goes and puts the baby to bed*

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting DarksMama:

I despise going to the grocery store. I have a ton of food issues, so shopping for me is easy. DH never really set up what he actaully likes, so I'm guessing unless he's with me. Then he changes his mind. Ugh.

And then this gem:

Me: Dude...if I had to CD and BF and all the other shit Djinn has to do, there'd never be another home made meal in this house ever again...

DH: So? You don't cook anyway.

Me: *jawdrop* Says the guy who got to eat dinner, but couldn't feed the baby for me so *I* could eat MY dinner. Instead, I get potato chips because my food was ruined.

DH: *goes and puts the baby to bed*

Ask him how that foot tastes. I'm guessing pretty rank. Bahahahaha.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

DarksMama
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I think his teeth need a pedicure. LOL

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting DarksMama:

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on May. 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Quoting DarksMama:

LMFAO! Touché.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

lawyermomma23
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I plan for the week and make a shopping list based off of that menu on Saturday mornings. I absolutely have to do it because I have a very limited amount of time to get dinner on the table during the week (I have a long commute and my kids' bedtime starts at 7pm). I also do as much prep work ahead of time (like chopping veggies for salads and recipes). My nightime routine is pretty well regimented, otherwise no one is going to eat and nothing will get done. I do really simple meals during the week ( a steamed veggies, rice or a baked potato, and usually a piece of chicken or fish) that are ready within about 30 mins or so.

Toxic.Stardust
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM
DH gets paid every two weeks, so I usually go shopping twice a month unless we run out of milk or something like that. I can usually keep the food budget around $300 a month for the three of us, but I spent close to $200 last week for the two weeks :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)