Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rude neighbors

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 319 Total Views

I have these next door neighbors who are probably some of the least respectful people around. Usually the "neighborhood" is nice and quiet but recenlty our neighbors son and daughter-in-law moved in while they are house hunting. They brought with them a little 2 or 3 year old boy and 2 very large dogs. If the dogs are not barking (loudly I might add) we can basically sit in our living room and hear every conversation they have outside. Everything from arguements to yelling at the dogs to shut up. It is getting to the point that they now wake up DD when I try to put her down for naps and for bedtime. I want to confront these people but I don't know if I should go over there and lay down the bitchiness since it is an understood thing that we moved here for peace and quiet or if I should stay polite.

What would you do?

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starburst72
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM

confront them , no . but definitely let them know they are being too loud and waking your child. politely ask them to drop the sound down a bit thanks. no reason to make it a confrontation. 

WilcoRocks
by Still Suspect on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Ugh, I am having the same problem, at least with a dog issue.  I don't know what to say.  I am horrible with confrontation.

Call the cops?  Passive aggressive, but possibly effective.

Amandabears
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally i would confront them (I love confrontation). I had to do this with the neighbors behind me. They refused to shut their chihuahua up and I work 2 jobs. So it's not nice to keep me awake... plus I am not so nice when I haven't had sleep... 

Needless to say they wanted to play dirty, so we have been going back and forth with cop calling between each other.... but at least I was able to get their dog taken away. Yet they now have another yapper. 

Sorry but I would confront, most people would be nice, but I am not a nice person when it comes to rudenss and inconsiderate neighbors. 

bluespagan
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I know the parents fairly well and the dad is a Harvard Grad lawyer.  I talked to DH and I think confrontation would be bad.  Instead I will go over and tell them that sound carries well from their house to ours, ask them to bring the decibles down some and go from there.  If they don't, well then I will bitch.

Amandabears
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Hopefully they will respect your wishes and such. I hope it works out. It's not fun dealing with neighbors. 

Bunny_Swan
by foofooclue on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I wish I could be like Amandabears!

But really, I would just seethe quietly, plot the best revenge ever, and then never see it through.

Maybe if I was pregnant, trying to read in the spring sun, and they weren't outside I would turn the hose on full power and blast the dog, then blame it on pregnancy hormones when DH pulled up and asked WTH I was doing. embarrassed mini

freenuts
by So Out of It! on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh lord, have I had situations like these... the place I live used to be real nice and quit (that is why we quit the city and moved here). Well, since three years ago when house rents have gone to the sky, lots of thrashy ppl are pouring down from the city. I have had confrontations with yappy dogs, loud music and loud cars/bycicles revving up just for 'fun' in front of my house . Since I had the twins I am even more severe about these situations. I am not aggressive but I wont hesitate to knock on your house and tell you that you either shut your dogs up or I'm calling the cops (same with music, loud kids, etc). normally that sets them straight, but some of them are hard to bend hehe. But so far so good. I wouldnt give a damn rat's ass about your neighbor being a lawyer. I confrontate anyone, mainly because I know I'm on the right. Hell, I even confrontanted our local burglars! Go blues, chew them a  new ass with your rethoric!

roze76110
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you not have a rather long poking stick?  That should do the trick.

wubbunny420
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM

I live around a bunch or drunks and meth heads so i know how you feel with neighbors you want to confront. I've had the cops called on mine several times.

Aleigh2418
by Still Suspect on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

We had a very similar neighbor situation.  It's actually a duplex, the LLs are fine, just scared to stand up for themselves (they live in the main house), but the tenant will not stop buying pits that she lets her oldest "train" to be aggressive.  Every time one gets removed, because she REFUSES to leash them, she buys another and laughs about it.  A few months back, she let her son, his pregnant girlfriend, their 4 children (under 5) and their 2 pits (1 was the tenants last dog, apparently he went to her son) move in to her 1 bedroom unit for a "few days".  6 weeks later, I was sooooo fed up with the constant fighting, the dirty neighbor kids climbing our fence to play on our toys, the dogs pooping right outside our door, that I was at my breaking point, and so was DH. Did I mention one of the dogs was pregnant, aggressive and super snappy???  DH was laying on the ground, fixing the blade on our ride on lawnmower when the dogs were suddenly standing directly over him, growling at him.  He flipped the F out!  He had a giant wrench that he held out in front of him (still laying on the ground at this point) and screamed at them that he was calling the cops, getting the dogs removed, getting CPS involved to take all those kids to better homes with parents who didn't let them roam as free as the dogs and would actually feed and bathe them.  He just went OFF!  He stood up, ready to hit the dogs away if they attacked and saw the tenant standing there, mouth wide open!

2 days later, the tenant's family was gone, their dogs were gone, and the dog still living there hasn't been off a leash since!  She still won't even look at us, but I prefer that over having to listen to her son scream and yell at his girlfriend and kids every single day.  I heard from the LL that CPS got involved anyways, so hopefully they will get all the help they can!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)