Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Resue Dog Finally Came Around

Posted by   + Show Post

I got this dog from the pound nearly five years ago (five in May I think).  It took me a YEAR to housebreak her, a year!  She was so timid that if I reprimanded her like you do with a normal dog (see them soiling, and take them outside to finish) she'd cower.  She'd come for me for protection, that's it.  She HATED kids until DS was born 3.5 years ago, then she just loved babies, and continued evolving to adapt to kids DSs age (if he was 2 she liked 2 and under, but no one under 14ish).  I started taking her to my shop when I opened nearly 3 years ago, so she grew to like stragers (repeat customers, and new ones wanted to befriend her, she was afraid, not snapping).  She never snuggled with me until this week.  She is now sitting next to me on the couch, and she slept with DS and I last night for the first time ever.  I know it sounds like a lot of effort but she's a great dog and adores DS.  She never demanded much affection, but I know she wanted to be close.  Anyway, I'm proud of her. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Replies (11-11):
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean reprimand, I meant the normal consequence for a dog soiling inside is to interrupt and put them outside to finish. 

Quoting justone_jen:

Maybe it's the word reprimanded that's throwing you, but I don't see the issue with opening the for and telling the dog to go outside. I could understand your reaction if she said she beats it for peeing inside, but she didn't say that.

I agree with you regarding a schedule. I'm for prevention, rather than correction, so a schedule along with positive reinforcement and repetitive commands is ideal, but accidents happen during potty training. I have ALWAYS taken the dog out if they have an accident inside, whether training my own dogs, rescues, or shelter dogs (many of which were previously abused). Getting angry, being stern, yelling, etc. would certainly scare an already timid dog, but simply taking it outside? No. I wouldn't call taking a dog outside punishment, at all.

Quoting lancet98:

if I reprimanded her like you do with a normal dog (see them soiling, and take them outside to finish) she'd cower.

I think that is a horrible way to housebreak a dog, and I would never train ANY dog that way, even more so with a shy rescue dog and I've been training.   Good Lord, you were scaring the snot out of the dog and wonder why she isn't friendlier??  Brother.   I've had rescues and regular dogs I owned since pups, and I would NEVER reprimand them for going in the house. 

If they are going in the house that's your fault, not theirs.  

They're supposed to be on a schedule, feeding, naps and crate time, and they go out on a schedule of when they HAVE to go.   If they are healthy (treated for any parasites, diseases) they learn very, very VERY easily.   Because there is no poo or pee smell in the house, and because they're in a routine, they always want to go out to poo or pee.

They don't learn it like some moral lesson or from being scolded for it, for heaven's sake.  

They don't learn to go outside because they are shamed into it or 'reprimanded'.   Housebreaking is 100% instinct and routine.   Reprimanding them is a pointless waste of energy and a sign of a very bad temper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)