Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this mean? Potty training and bedtime stuff

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 176 Total Views

DS finally pooed in the toiled today. I bought him an app I've been promising. About twenty minutes later, he pooed in his undies (the first one was very small, I knew he had to go again, just not sure when). I took the iPod away, told him I wasn't mad, cleaned him up, and told him he could have it back when he used the potty again. He cried, then moments later peed in the toilet  he got the iPad back. Is this negative reinforcement? I consider it a conditional reward. 

Tonight, DS kept getting out of bed, so I said, ok, I'll a&e a toy away each time you get out of bed, and told him he can have them back in the am. Hes in bed after his fourth toy was taken. 

Am I mean?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Btw in case anyone is wondering, yay, XH gave me Saturdays, so I'm in on Friday nights now, I'm so happy I'll have him on a Saturday. 

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM
No you're not mean. Everything with kids is trial and error; see how it goes with the potty/reward thing, if its not working then switch it up. It might work, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I've tried everything, bribes, rewards, congratulations, not caring if he soils, everything!

Quoting muzzyh:

No you're not mean. Everything with kids is trial and error; see how it goes with the potty/reward thing, if its not working then switch it up. It might work, though.

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Nope you're not mean.
muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM
I did all that too. Then I stopped trying. One day she just decided she was ready, and that was that. I'm letting second kid take her time.

Quoting GoRed:

I've tried everything, bribes, rewards, congratulations, not caring if he soils, everything!

Quoting muzzyh:

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I've done that too, he's three and a half. 

Quoting muzzyh:

I did all that too. Then I stopped trying. One day she just decided she was ready, and that was that. I'm letting second kid take her time.

Quoting GoRed:

Quoting muzzyh:

AMedicsPixie
by The negotiator on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Nah. You're just fine.
kels1023
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
How old is he?
Djinn83
by lainey's idol on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Yeah, some kids will be content to shit their pants forever. My oldest was like that. Finally I did positive and negative reinforcement. A reward for going, a punishment for not. And spare me. After his bowel issues were resolved, he was just lazy. Yes, I punished my kid for shitting his pants.

I still can't get Ava to shit on the toilet, even though she's done it twice. She's scared. I give her a diaper because I don't want her to start holding it. I'm at a loss. She is too young to punish, but too old to be shitting her pants.

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
It'll happen. Is it warm where you live? I have a friend who potty trained in the summer by letting her kids run around in just t-shirts. They got grossed out when they'd peed on themselves, so within a week they were using the toilet and wearing undies.

Quoting GoRed:

I've done that too, he's three and a half. 

Quoting muzzyh:

Quoting GoRed:

Quoting muzzyh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN