Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how "crunchy" are you?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 189 Total Views

I am really starting to overhaul the way my family eats - no juice, no fruit snacks or candies or icecream except on special occasions, balanced meals with minimal processing. I used to serve boxed sides at just about every dinner but now I just make the rice, noodles, whatever, myself. I started reading ingredient labels and holy dimethyloxyltygloxoprin, batman. I am slowly coming around to the idea of working towards becoming gluten-free. (Slowly)

On the other hand I am all over disposable diapers, plastic flatware at the beach, aerosol cleaners, whatever. If you looked at me and my life you would think I am the furthest thing from "crunchy". But get me going on food additives, Monsanto, corn syrup, trans fats, processed food and obeisity in America and how it can all be solved by a plant-based diet? I can smell the patchouli already. 

How environmentally conscious are you? How much processed food does your family eat? How "crunchy" or "green" do you consider yourself? 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Djinn83
by I'm baaaack on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Environmentally? Very. Food? Don't care as long as it tastes good. I don't give my kids artificial sweeteners, or a ton of junk food, but we all snack in the house.

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I don't I just live. I cook from scratch. I make a protein a starch and fruit/veg every meal. Thankfully I never gave ds juice so that's special occasions that started at 2. I do buy popsicles in the summer but I'm going to make my own this year. I use disposable diapers and shampoo. Ds never used a bottle or a paci. I don't label myself anything really lol just trying
emeraldangel20
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

i'm gradually eating less junk

enviromentally i'm very green

ButterBattle
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

This is us

Quoting Djinn83:

Environmentally? Very. Food? Don't care as long as it tastes good. I don't give my kids artificial sweeteners, or a ton of junk food, but we all snack in the house.

justone_jen
by Shmexy B on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm slowly transitioning to a more natural lifestyle, and it really has just come with learning about things. E is only 14 months, and I've changed a lot in that short amount of time. This is all just as of now, I guess. And, it has a lot less to do with the environment, than it does with our health. I mean, I don't litter or anything, but I'd be a liar if I said my choices had much to do with my concern for the environment.

We eat whole foods. Meats, fruits, veggies, nuts. SO eats grains and I avoid them, but not completely. Pasta is a rarity. SO also eats a lot of dairy, and I don't, but I do occasionally indulge in a ridiculous amount of cheese, lol. I'm not a huge fan of rice, so we hardly eat that either. I'll also breastfeed forever.

We use coconut oil for everything from moisturizing to whitening teeth (and soon, I am going to try to make toothpaste with it, but I bought toothpaste at Costco so I'm trying to get through the 45 tubes we have before I make my own). We use goats milk soap that I spend a stupid amount of money on from a local soap shop. E and I don't use shampoo. No diaper rash cream, etc. But, I use hair spray, makeup occasionally (though it's advertised as natural, the ingredients list suggests otherwise), and deodorant.

I clean with baking soda and vinegar (except for the dishes, I use dish soap). But, I also use Swiffer dusters, so that's not very crunchy of me.

I use disposable diapers and wipes. I use a disposable straw every day at work. We have an SUV and a V6 car, neither of which are great on gas mileage. We don't recycle (we would if we used curb side pick up, but we just have a dumpster, otherwise we have to drive the trash somewhere). I probably let the water run more than I should. We use paper towels.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Food- meat, dairy, eggs, etc., all organic grass-fed whathaveyou. Fruits and veggies, I'll buy organic if I can afford it.
Household cleansers and stuff- vinegar for almost everything (except laundry and dishwasher). If I have to pull out big guns for something, I do.
I recycle and I don't litter. I use disposable diapers. I shower daily and sometimes I really take my time, but I run around the house after people turning lights off.
muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
My car is a 17 year old gas guzzler.
SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM
You beat me I've got a 14 yr old 4cylinder lol

Quoting muzzyh:

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM
I might as well be riding a dinosaur. A rusty dinosaur.

Quoting SASSYCJB:

You beat me I've got a 14 yr old 4cylinder lol

Quoting muzzyh:

AMedicsPixie
by The negotiator on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I make my own laundry soap, floor cleaner, fabric softener... I know how to make a bunch of other stuff, too.

That's about it lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)