Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What dafuq?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:03 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 368 Total Views

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/18587316/Advice_on_a_home_daycare?next=1#replies

Some dumbass wants to call CPS because a daycare worker props a baby's bottle up. Yeah...you aren't supposed to do it, neither are you supposed to co sleep and on and on. CPS for this...really?  Its not illegal or abuse. or neglect even.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMedicsPixie
by Remember Me? on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Yeah... the whackos on here would call for anything.
laineysmum
by WWRPD? on Jun. 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Eh, I don't think it's "abuse" or necessarily CPS-worthy, but I do think it is neglectful. And I would be getting in touch with the mother. Under 3 months? That's just dumb and lazy.

I also vehemently oppose your equating cosleeping to bottle propping. Seriously?? Dafuq, indeed.

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jun. 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You are not supposed to co-sleep. ITS DANGEROUS! and increases the risk of SIDS.

You are not supposed to bottle prop, ITS DANGEROUS! and increases the risk of choking.

I have or do both. I co sleep with LO. When he was little, DD would be crying for a diaper change. I would prop up a bottle and lay him on the floor beside me on a blanket while I changed DDs diaper.

I think both things come down to the stupidity of the parent. Both can be done safely, both can be hazardous if not monitored.

Quoting laineysmum:

Eh, I don't think it's "abuse" or necessarily CPS-worthy, but I do think it is neglectful. And I would be getting in touch with the mother. Under 3 months? That's just dumb and lazy.

I also vehemently oppose your equating cosleeping to bottle propping. Seriously?? Dafuq, indeed.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

laineysmum
by WWRPD? on Jun. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Ok, I see what you mean. Except it HELLA DOESN'T increase the risk of SIDS! Dumb fuck parents trying to cosleep vastly increases risk of suffocation. Huge difference! ;)

Quoting Djinn83:

You are not supposed to co-sleep. ITS DANGEROUS! and increases the risk of SIDS.

You are not supposed to bottle prop, ITS DANGEROUS! and increases the risk of choking.

I have or do both. I co sleep with LO. When he was little, DD would be crying for a diaper change. I would prop up a bottle and lay him on the floor beside me on a blanket while I changed DDs diaper.

I think both things come down to the stupidity of the parent. Both can be done safely, both can be hazardous if not monitored.

Quoting laineysmum:

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jun. 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I read it increases SIDS, which is pretty much saying suffocation without saying suffocation, right?

Quoting laineysmum:

Ok, I see what you mean. Except it HELLA DOESN'T increase the risk of SIDS! Dumb fuck parents trying to cosleep vastly increases risk of suffocation. Huge difference! ;)

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting laineysmum:

crazyblondemom
by Taking a dump on Jun. 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Suprised no one calls because people make their kids wipe their own ass. 

Rileyscute
by Beccasgorgeous on Jun. 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I never propped, even with twins..but seriously..who cares
laineysmum
by WWRPD? on Jun. 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

suffocation =/= SIDS because a SIDS death, by definition, cannot have a provable cause of death. The issue with SIDS is arousability, not lack of oxygen.

There was a recent "study" claiming bedsharing increased SIDS risk but they are innacurate conclusions drawn from weak data. Counter-argument press release: http://evolutionaryparenting.com/press-release-carpenter/

Quoting Djinn83:

I read it increases SIDS, which is pretty much saying suffocation without saying suffocation, right?

Quoting laineysmum:

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting laineysmum:

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jun. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM

From what I have read, its basically lack of oxygen, not by forcible suffocation, but because something was over the babies face etc, causing an increase in CO2  and a decrease in oxygen. (like when you breathe in a bag because of a panic attack) But because they are infants, the brain doesn't signal the body to wake up and remove the cover.

Quoting laineysmum:

suffocation =/= SIDS because a SIDS death, by definition, cannot have a provable cause of death. The issue with SIDS is arousability, not lack of oxygen.

There was a recent "study" claiming bedsharing increased SIDS risk but they are innacurate conclusions drawn from weak data. Counter-argument press release: http://evolutionaryparenting.com/press-release-carpenter/

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting laineysmum:

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting laineysmum:

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jun. 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Never mind, found it in your article

Again what places an infant at risk of SIDS events is what places infants’ breathing and arousability at risk. The elements of the sleep context that place infants’ breathing and arousability at risk are well defined:

• respiratory obstruction  (e.g., bedding)
  • rebreathing expired gases (i.e., from cover on face)
  • thermal stress through overheating (e.g., too many covers)
  • physiological vulnerability of arousal (e.g., deep sleep from formula usage)
Quoting laineysmum:

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting laineysmum:

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting laineysmum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)