Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never knew so many were afraid of dogs

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

I took my dogs to the playground the other day so they could run while DS played. There's a field next to the playground, and many people take their dogs there to play. Mostly it's labs and yorkies, from what I've seen. I took my two dogs, a hound mix (who used to hate kids, she loves them now, since DS came along), and the wolfhound (pretty much the biggest dog you can get, XHs idea, the moron).  I let them run loose. A few minutes later I saw DS and some kids climbing a tree. Minutes later DS comes over and tells me his friend won't get out of the tree because he's afraid of the XL dog. I told the kid the dog is super nice, but I'll make him sit next to me, so he can play, and not to worry. We did that, and the boy was fine. I apologized to the mom, she was totally fine, she didn't want to say anything and appear to be demanding (how selfless, but I felt badly about the situation).  So XL dog and medium one stay close, but are dying to play with the kids. One ran off to lick a baby (the small one who hated kids, lol), so I decided to put them in the car until we left. But I spoke to the moms, half of the were afraid of the dogs, and their kids were the ones who were also afraid.  I was just shocked that half the people there were afraid of dogs. I'm more wary of a chihuahua than a Rottweiler. But I'm glad there was no hostility yesterday, I've heard so many stories of people getting nasty when things go wrong on the playground.  

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimberliah78
by Sketchmo on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My youngest son is deathly afraid of dogs... All dogs. Little tiny ones, even... lol  BUT... we have a 120 pound pit bull, who he adores... It's the strangest thing.

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Lol, that is funny. I'm sure hell be fine. 

Quoting kimberliah78:

My youngest son is deathly afraid of dogs... All dogs. Little tiny ones, even... lol  BUT... we have a 120 pound pit bull, who he adores... It's the strangest thing.

kimberliah78
by Sketchmo on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

haha... He was practically having a panic attack because my friend's little weiner dog was trying to jump on his leg. :)

Quoting GoRed:

Lol, that is funny. I'm sure hell be fine. 

Quoting kimberliah78:

1CrazyCajun
by moitier fou on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I think because we hear so many horror stories about pitbull attacks in the news, people give all dogs the eye.

Funny, I find that most of the bigger dogs are the sweetest ones. jmo

newmom3012
by MIL Slayer on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM
My confession is in more afraid of cats than dogs. I've been bitten in my sleep by a cat who rubbed up on my arm and overstimulated herself. Little shit.
I have no fear of dogs.....even "mean" ones. It's really easy (but time consuming) to gain their trust. I love dogs!
Soulprncs2
by EI Favorite on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Ydd is afraid of dogs and we had a dog for 3 yrs of her life.

I will say you should never tell anyone not to worry abt your dogs. That opens you up to huge liability. When we have dogs and ppl ask if they bite, I would say they haven't bitten anyone, yet. Ppl need to be on their guard around dogs they don't know. They are still animals and like ppl, you don't know how they will react.  

I tell my kids not to rush up to dogs and show them how to approach a dog.  DS loves dogs and immediately wants to hug them.  He could do that with our dog, but not all dogs like it.  I have to get to him fast, because he has been bitten by dogs who didn't like his love.  

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Yeah, I teach DS to never pet a strange dog without asking the owner first, and to keep in mind that dogs do bite. It drives me nuts when people allow and encourage their kids to approach strange dogs without checking with the owner. Those are the same parents that would flip their shit when their kid is eventually bitten.
12345abcde54321
by French Maid on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

i'm terrified of dogs. except mine. she terrifies unexpected guests but she sleeps in my bed.

ShannyLouisiany
by my pretty on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM
big, free-roaming dogs make me nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Quoting ShannyLouisiany:

big, free-roaming dogs make me nervous.

Even a sexy pooping dog?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)