Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clothes from dryer smelling like urine

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 397 Total Views

DS is working on night training, he's four and a half, and I hear it's harder for boys. He doesn't have day accidents, and it's fifty fifty at night. Anyway, he had an accident, I washed the sheets and some other clothes together in the hot hot cycle they were dried in the hot cycle too. When I removed the clothes, they still smelled mildly of urine. I use hypoallergenic detergent and no dryer sheets.  Any thoughts?

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this
run them again.
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I plan to, but why wouldn't one wash get them clean? Am I doing something wrong?

Quoting SASSYCJB: run them again.

1CrazyCajun
by moitier fou on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

When my DS diaper leaks with poop or pee, I add about 1/2 cup of baking soda to the wash . I start the cycle and let it agitate a couple seconds to mix the detergent and baking soda. Then I stop the cycle and let clothes soak for 10-15 minutes in warm water before starting again. I also do a second rinse cycle with a cup of vinegar. Also, some people use Borax, instead of baking soda. I think it a type of laundry booster.

I know it's hard to get rid of urine smell, because of the enzymes.

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have no problem even running them again, I just wasn't sure if it was something I was doing wrong. 

Quoting 1CrazyCajun:

When my DS diaper leaks with poop or pee, I add about 1/2 cup of baking soda to the wash . I start the cycle and let it agitate a couple seconds to mix the detergent and baking soda. Then I stop the cycle and let clothes soak for 10-15 minutes in warm water before starting again. I also do a second rinse cycle with a cup of vinegar. Also, some people use Borax, instead of baking soda. I think it a type of laundry booster.

I know it's hard to get rid of urine smell, because of the enzymes.

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Baking soda
AMedicsPixie
by The negotiator on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Vinegar.
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM

How much vinegar or baking soda?

AMedicsPixie
by The negotiator on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I put in as much vinegar as you would fabric softener.

Quoting GoRed:

How much vinegar or baking soda?

justpeekingin
by bit.ly/1qwaBOX on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:01 AM

A soak in vinegar/baking soda should do the trick. Just like PPs said. Soak 'em for a bit, then run again. and uggh this makes me so glad all 4 of mine were trained by 2. EXTRA laundry makes me crazy.

harrietdresden
by ASS manufacturer on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Vinegar also acts as a natural fabric softener...it's REALLY great for laundry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)