Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School issues. X-posted. Please help

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 253 Total Views

I don't know if you guys remember, but I posted about DS being in preschool. He was initially in his second year of preschool in a new school. After a week, they asked to move him from a class of 8 (not including him, but he made it a full class), to a class of 4 (not including him). The older class that he was moved from were all six months to a year older. The younger class was of kids a full year younger (three of the four, the last being a few months younger). I was ok with that initially, but he seemed unhappy. I met with the teachers and they said we'd meet again in December, and until then, wait and see how he adjusted, as his fine motor skills needed to be honed. It's now January and he is not the same kid. He refuses to listen, has become non verbal in ways, his language, something he excels in has stopped growing, and he's still unhappy. He's started acting like a two year old. I'm going in tomorrow to demand that he's placed back in the other class. I was told months ago that he doesn't like to play with the kids in the older class. Yesterday, a girl in the older class told me we would be having a play date, as her and DS had arranged one. DS confirmed this, and told me all about what they would do. He has been claiming all along that he has friends in that class, besides one mean kid. Also, Two weeks ago, DS told me about a boy in that other class who hits him and takes toys from him. When I asked about a specific incident I was told that my son just doesn't like this boy for some reason. I confronted her again on Monday, with proof that this kid taunts DS, and she admitted that it happens. Why the fuck did she not tell me?!!  I'm fuming.  I get that kids are jerks, but why deny it the first time I asked? I wouldn't have been upset with that boy, he's 5, I'm upset with the 'teachers' who failed to mention it when I asked, and only confirmed it when I told them what I had seen and heard. What do I do regarding this school? 

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rileyscute
by Beccasgorgeous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM

kick butt and take no names..for real..

ask for a meeting asap (if you haven't already) and come prepared to do battle

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Tomorrow at 8. This is the best school for thirty miles. Ugh. If they don't cop on tomorrow, were done, and I will move.  I went against DS and my gut before. Now he's regressing and still unhappy. Friends and family are upset over this too (not after my prompting, they've gently brought it up, except my dad who is angry over the whole situation, so I would use gently when I refer to what he has said). He has a great home life (I hope!), he's loved. I'm right to demand this,right?

Quoting Rileyscute:

Rileyscute
by Beccasgorgeous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM

you are absolutely right to demand it..

not the same really..but there are 2 autism classes at Riley's school..Riley was held in the younger class a year past when he should have been..and it is so apparent now..the last 2 years with the 'older kids' has been amazing for him..I wish he had been moved up sooner..because he has blossomed under this teacher (the one he has now)..I even know a parent that is not sending her son to the MS next year because of her

Quoting GoRed:

Tomorrow at 8. This is the best school for thirty miles. Ugh. If they don't cop on tomorrow, were done, and I will move.  I went against DS and my gut before. Now he's regressing and still unhappy. Friends and family are upset over this too (not after my prompting, they've gently brought it up, except my dad who is angry over the whole situation, so I would use gently when I refer to what he has said). He has a great home life (I hope!), he's loved. I'm right to demand this,right?

Quoting Rileyscute:

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the encouragement. They else this to me b saying he'd blossom as a leader. Nope, he's just assimilating into that classroom by acting like a younger child. 

Im glad Riley is thriving in his new class. :)

Quoting Rileyscute:

not the same really..but there are 2 autism classes at Riley's school..Riley was held in the younger class a year past when he should have been..and it is so apparent now..the last 2 years with the 'older kids' has been amazing for him..I wish he had been moved up sooner..because he has blossomed under this teacher (the one he has now)..I even know a parent that is not sending her son to the MS next year because of her

Quoting GoRed:

Quoting Rileyscute:

Rileyscute
by Beccasgorgeous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM

no problem sweet cheeks..

and I am kind of nervous..he is going to the MS next year...AHHH

Quoting GoRed:

Thanks for the encouragement. They else this to me b saying he'd blossom as a leader. Nope, he's just assimilating into that classroom by acting like a younger child. 

Quoting Rileyscute:

Quoting GoRed:

Quoting Rileyscute:

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh no!!! Ms is hell on earth. Seriously. Good luck. :(

Quoting Rileyscute:

no problem sweet cheeks..

and I am kind of nervous..he is going to the MS next year...AHHH

Quoting GoRed:

Quoting Rileyscute:

Quoting GoRed:

Quoting Rileyscute:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)