Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've been banned

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM
  • 49 Replies
  • 2280 Total Views
Do you think there should be a period after which you can come back? A month, six months, a year?

Do you feel it is an invasion of your privacy for babycenter to log your IP?

Is there any circumstance in which a full ban IS appropriate?

Have you contacted babycenter about being banned?

What does it mean when someone says that the site does a ton of bans at once? How does that work? Are the members just randomly selected? And how does babycenter profit or benefit by doing that?

It seems that a business (or a website) that keeps its customers (or web users) happy has the best advantage for success. If it's the most frequent users, like the ones logging in multiple times daily, who are most likely to get the boot, that doesn't even make sense much, either.

Thoughts?
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1CrazyCajun
by moitier fou on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Do you think there should be a period after which you can come back? A month, six months, a year? Depends on why a person was banned. If it was for stalking and releasing a person's private info, then no you should not be able to come back. If it's for an arguement and you called someone a fucking sanctimonious nut, then yes give them a second chance after xx months.

Do you feel it is an invasion of your privacy for babycenter to log your IP? Not really. Almost all websites you visit log some type of info from your computer. Besides, BBC also plants a very deep cookie on your computer. That's why people who change their IP's, get banned again within a few hours/days.

Is there any circumstance in which a full ban IS appropriate? Yes. Stalking, giving out a person's private info or using their personal info to contact their employers or family members.

Have you contacted babycenter about being banned? No I didn't. Changed my IP and did a deep clean of cookies and other stuff on my computer. Doesn't do any good to contact them.  I've never heard of them reversing a ban.

What does it mean when someone says that the site does a ton of bans at once? How does that work? Are the members just randomly selected? And how does babycenter profit or benefit by doing that? If they ban tons of people at once, I'm sure it's because they were all in on a major shit storm. I don't see how they would profit from it, but the benefit is the people causing the problems are gone. Maybe someone else can answer this better.

It seems that a business (or a website) that keeps its customers (or web users) happy has the best advantage for success. If it's the most frequent users, like the ones logging in multiple times daily, who are most likely to get the boot, that doesn't even make sense much, either. If you are trying to keep a clean website, one that people enjoy coming to, would you want troublemakers in the mist? I've left several groups on bbc, because people knew how to skirt around the rules and scare away other members and still be insulting. But they were not quite breaking the rules. I know bbc bans some people for the most stupid things. I know a few of the Mods favor some of the older posters that are ass holes. Mainly ones on the Debate Team board.

Thoughts?

GlitteryFish
by Just keep swimming. on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:59 AM
How do I clean my cookies? Did that work for you?
1CrazyCajun
by moitier fou on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

There use to be a good thread on here about how to get around a BBC ban, but sadly it was deleted....... :(

I had to buy a program from BestBuy. I don't remember the name of it. That was back in 2010. It was some type of cleaner/sweeper. Just doing a clean up from your computer isn't good enough. If you do manage to rejoin, lay low for a while. Don't join groups you were in or friend request old buddies. That just sends up a red flag to bbc. Also, don't log in with your new SN from your cell phone.

Quoting GlitteryFish: How do I clean my cookies? Did that work for you?

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this
You'll get over it and get used to this site. Give it time its better here anyway.
SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I went back 4-5 times before giving up.
GlitteryFish
by Just keep swimming. on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes! I am realizing that. The lack of thread memory sucks but I like that I am not so into a thread. It's not that bad around here.

Quoting SASSYCJB: You'll get over it and get used to this site. Give it time its better here anyway.

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Thread memory does suck but if you comment where you left off the look into my replys it'll put you right back there. Even if you have nothing to say just say saving my place. We see you lurking anyway lol

Quoting GlitteryFish:

Yes! I am realizing that. The lack of thread memory sucks but I like that I am not so into a thread. It's not that bad around here.

Quoting SASSYCJB: You'll get over it and get used to this site. Give it time its better here anyway.

mysokalledlife
by Nothing to see here. on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been banned before. They wouldn't tell me why, and even admitted it was likely an error.
I was banned again after Burnt Turkey drama. I guess they were mad they deleted all my previous posts, then came back and I was found out.

However, it was only a 30 day banning. It did help me tremendously though.. I now have a life! A real, glorious life! With real life people!

mysokalledlife
by Nothing to see here. on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM
I should say they lifted the ban... I went from iwearflats to idontwearheels or something.
1CrazyCajun
by moitier fou on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Yep. I go back to BBC for 2 private groups, but CM is my new home. I love it here. You can say what you want and not have to worry about getting slapped by the gods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)