Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS has eczema, advice?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 209 Total Views

I found out on Monday from his dr that the welt like marks on DS is likely eczema. We were there because he had been vomiting, and that day these welts appeared. Of course, I freaked and thought it was the mumps or something. He told me it was likely eczema, and prescribed a steroid cream. His skin cleared up a lot after the first use, and a few days later, it's gone, although his skin is still a bit dry. I went to the health food store and got Indian Meadow herbals skin healer salve. I have psoriasis, so understand the basics of such a skin condition, only use free and clear detergent, alcohol free body lotion, keep your immune system up, use dove soap, etc. any eczema creams or tips? 

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM
I second everything you said and ill add coconut oil.
The.Last.Rebel
by Define on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM
None here sorry
GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM

My dad suggested that. Just like, coconut oil as a lotion? Ingest it? Both?

Quoting SASSYCJB: I second everything you said and ill add coconut oil.

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Topical
LuckyFKcharms
by my precious on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Also make sure you keep the baths to 7-10 minutes. Long baths take the moisture out of the skin. Aquaphor is my best friend when it comes to dd :-)
DizzyUpTheGirl
by Still Suspect on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Coconut oil and Aquaphor definitely helps. My 4.5 has severe eczema and we use both of those on top of her steroid cream. Short, warmish baths every other day. Dove soap and if it's really bad, I'll wash her with a little Head & Shoulders. It relieves her breakouts a lot. Also, loose, lightweight clothing.

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Great tip. I allowed longer baths, maybe 20 minutes, but just twice a week, he showers the other days. He'll be so upset, he loves his baths, and hates lotion. 

Quoting LuckyFKcharms: Also make sure you keep the baths to 7-10 minutes. Long baths take the moisture out of the skin. Aquaphor is my best friend when it comes to dd :-)

GoRed
by Not A Sheephole on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Do you use the cream as a preventative measure, or when there's a rash coming?

Quoting DizzyUpTheGirl:

Coconut oil and Aquaphor definitely helps. My 4.5 has severe eczema and we use both of those on top of her steroid cream. Short, warmish baths every other day. Dove soap and if it's really bad, I'll wash her with a little Head & Shoulders. It relieves her breakouts a lot. Also, loose, lightweight clothing.

DizzyUpTheGirl
by Still Suspect on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Her pediatrician told us to use it only when there's a rash since it thins the skin. We have two different strengths. One is a once daily ointment for her worst spots and the other is for more mild outbreaks and we can put it on as needed. We use the Aquaphor daily as a preventative measure. It's really thick and takes a while to absorb so if his eczema isn't too, too bad, you could use the coconut oil or regular Eucerine (sp?) lotion  

Quoting GoRed:

Do you use the cream as a preventative measure, or when there's a rash coming?

Quoting DizzyUpTheGirl:

squeekers
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

DD's eczema is controlled by a prescription non-steriod cream. We may finally be having her growing out of it, too, like the Dermatologist said might happen 10 years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN