Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reasonable and Unreasonable reasons for GoFundMe

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM
  • 98 Replies
  • 2896 Total Views
1 mom liked this
What have y'all seen? The first one that runs through my mind is the mom on BHB who was going to have a yard sale and have a special jar for $ specifically to help pay for her daughters trip to a beauty pagant. She even had a link to her go fund me in her siggy.

Any crazy ones that you have seen? Any inappropriate ones? Ones that made you go hmmmm. Or ones that you wish you could donate all of your money to?
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thebubz
by pretty kitty on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:46 AM
I've seen ones to pay for college tuition and to move a family cross country (the husband got a job in Ohio and the wife and kids were still in California). I didn't donate to either one.
SuperGirlAgain
by To The Rescue! on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:47 AM
3 moms liked this

I remember her. She got sooo pissed off when people told her that the pagent wasn't legit.

SuperGirlAgain
by To The Rescue! on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Legit: Funeral and tombstone/burial costs, life threatening medical costs.

Oh hell no:Vacations, college tuition, down payment on the house, help me be a sahm, aka frivolous or life decisions that you shouldn't be doing if your cannot figure out a way to finance them yourself.

The.Last.Rebel
by Define on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:12 AM
I tried doing one for a tombstone, no one helped, I gave up. I don't get how ppl get donations unless they're AWing it up.

Quoting SuperGirlAgain:

Oh hell no:Vacations, college tuition, down payment on the house, help me be a sahm, aka frivolous or life decisions that you shouldn't be doing if your cannot figure out a way to finance them yourself.

SuperGirlAgain
by To The Rescue! on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:31 AM
That makes me sad. Hugs.

I think that sometimes people don't have much to spare or they think that other people will donate so they don't need to.

I really don't know. I've never had someone irl start one. I would donate to people I know well.

Quoting The.Last.Rebel: I tried doing one for a tombstone, no one helped, I gave up. I don't get how ppl get donations unless they're AWing it up.

Quoting SuperGirlAgain:

laineysmum
by WWRPD? on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I have only donated to people I know personally. And only when it involved cancer-diagnosed or deceased children.
SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:47 AM
7 moms liked this
Inappropriate is someone I don't know asking me for $
Soulprncs2
by EI Favorite on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:20 AM
One of Odd's coaches at the cheer gym where she practices was shot while in the French Quarter, recentlu. Not sure what is going on down there.He might still be in the hospital. I havent seen an update in a few days.

The gofundme acct was set up for medical expenses and some living expenses, since his only source of income is his coaching job at the cheer gym. They only asked dor $10000.

I was going to donate, but we are pretty tight over here. When I went to donate they had already met their goal. I did share it on my Facebook, but I don't have many friends.

I haven't seen many, I'm not annoyed by them.
SB916
by vodka ulcer on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM
"It is legit, y'all are just jealous that they wanted to swindle me and not y'all! Nanny nanny boo boo!" Or some crap like that.

Quoting SuperGirlAgain:

I remember her. She got sooo pissed off when people told her that the pagent wasn't legit.

SB916
by vodka ulcer on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Exatly. The reason I brought this up (and I am going to try and tread VERY carefully here as to not look like an insensitive asshole) is because I was going to donate to someone. She lost a child and had a gofundme set up. We barely make it pay check to paycheck, but I was willing to sacrfice something in order to help her out. The money is to go towards a tattoo in rememberence of the child who passed. I don't know how I should feel about that.

Quoting SuperGirlAgain: That makes me sad. Hugs.

I think that sometimes people don't have much to spare or they think that other people will donate so they don't need to.

I really don't know. I've never had someone irl start one. I would donate to people I know well.

Quoting The.Last.Rebel: I tried doing one for a tombstone, no one helped, I gave up. I don't get how ppl get donations unless they're AWing it up.

Quoting SuperGirlAgain:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN