Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I about to give my 22 month old kool aid

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 439 Total Views
Ladies, I need ideas. Help me please. My 22 month old woke up with a high fever yesterday, but was drinking fine. Today, the fever is much lower, but he doesn't want to drink anything! Didn't want water, or our go to after that when they're sick which is Gatorade. Ok, let's try orange juice. Nope. Milk? No (and he LOVES milk). So now we're getting desperate, grape juice, apple juice, even Capri sun. Nope nope and nope. I'm like 2 seconds from trying kool aid.

Anyone have any tips on what their finicky sick kid will drink when sick?? (And please don't suggest pedialyte, he won't even consider it)
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnakePitSnake
by Define "Fuckateer" on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM
How long has it been since he's had anything? Maybe he's just not up to it now. I think choosing one drink and then continuing to offer it is the best. He probably feels like poop. Sorry mama. My 12 month old is sick too :(
coug7099
by Less Shitty on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Popsicles, freeze pops, frozen juice. 

ladiefurious
by let down your hair on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Popsicles. Lots of them.
Is he peeing?
Rose_Noah
by dirty mustard lover on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM
He did drink 7 ounces of milk this morning. But this afternoon id say he only drank about an ounce or so. This evening before he went to bed, my husband laid down with him for half an hour and just squeezed drops of milk out of a sippy cup (soft lid one) into his mouth as they "talked" . And that was about 3 ounces.

I have really bad anxiety that shows it's ugly face any time my kids get sick.
Rose_Noah
by dirty mustard lover on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Why didn't I think of Popsicles?! I will try that in the morning for sure

Quoting ladiefurious: Popsicles. Lots of them.
Is he peeing?
Rose_Noah
by dirty mustard lover on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I will try all of that - I have no idea why frozen stuff completely slipped my mind!

Quoting coug7099:

coug7099
by Less Shitty on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Because having a sick baby is stressful. With a fever they often like to suck on anything cold, even a cool washcloth will get drops of water into him/her until you can get Popsicles. 

Quoting Rose_Noah: I will try all of that - I have no idea why frozen stuff completely slipped my mind!
Quoting coug7099:

Fibonaccisequin
by Whipper of masses on Jul. 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Refusing liquids suggests that dehydration is setting in. How is his skin turgor?

Fibonaccisequin
by Whipper of masses on Jul. 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I quite honestly think that this is serious enough to not wait until morning. 

Your previous posts indicate that he has only consumed 8oz of liquid the day following a high fever. 7oz being a protein heavy liquid (milk).

I don't know your child's weight but this link takes you to a chart on fluid requirements.

Quoting Rose_Noah: Why didn't I think of Popsicles?! I will try that in the morning for sure
Quoting ladiefurious: Popsicles. Lots of them. Is he peeing?

ItsDjinn
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The sugar in kool aid will just dehydrate him more.

my toddlers wouldn't drink whenever they had a sore throat. I would suggest Popsicles as well. Sugar free. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)