Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wine adventure! I'm ready, are you?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM
  • 71 Replies
  • 3219 Total Views
1 mom liked this

If not, I don't care. I'm doing this. Gonna find some whites I like.

How its going to work: For those of you that like the sweet shit, this if for you! We are going to go from sweet whites, to drier whites, transitional reds, to super tuscans, all the way to bold red zindendals. this is how you acquire a taste for red wine. (like I said, its like when you first tried alcohol, you start with the fruity wine coolers, moving you way up to screw drivers, until finally you want a stiff maragrita. Wine is the same)

So, first up is sweet rieslings. We are just gonna skip moscato, ok? If you like moscato, you will like rieslings.

First, there are 3 types of rieslings. Sweet, off dry, and dry. Lets go with the sweet or off dry. Rieslings is orginally german, so Look for words like “feinherb” German Riesling, Pradikat System Germany Riesling including Spätlese, Auslese, Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese (TBA), base-model Riesling (less than $10), Sweet American Riesling.

Pick up a bottle the next time you are at the grocery store and plan to drink it with some food or atleast cheese (stop by the deli and pick up some cold cuts). Some of my favorite wines taste horrible alone, but spectacular with food. Or vice versa. Try it with, and without food. (take a few sips, then eat, try another few sips. See if you prefer it alone, or with food.)  Plan ahead. Sweet riesing goes with spicy foods (thai, chinese or mexican) or salads, fruit, poultry and light fish.

Pair with: light food or spicy foods. Nothing in between.

Cheese: Edam, gouda, brie, havarti, butterkase, pepper jack, colby (soft cheeses or spicy)

Meat: Pork, prescioutto, chicken, (or pick up some pepperoni from the deli for late night wine tasting)

Seafood: Lobster, sauted fish, seabass, trout

Sauces: Chutney, cream sauce, light sauce

nuts: candied almonds

Pretty safe buys. Firestone riesling, chateau st michelle riesling.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12345abcde54321
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Alright!

I'll grab a riesling and make my baked brie. What the heck, I'm on vacation  ;)

bschaad
by SpadersVader on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:30 PM
I'm in! I have to buy my wine from the liquor store though. Damn Bible Belt. I love love love red.
Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

we'll get there. Next is guwertaminer. It'll be a while until we hit red (pinot or gamay). Gotta get to oaked chardonnay first.

Quoting bschaad: I'm in! I have to buy my wine from the liquor store though. Damn Bible Belt. I love love love red.

bschaad
by SpadersVader on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Perhaps this will help me to appreciate white wine more.
Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Me too. The only white I drink is oaked chardonay. I need to think of a meal. I'm thinkin tacos to go with my riesling. SPICY TACOS! Or maybe quesadillas.

Quoting bschaad: Perhaps this will help me to appreciate white wine more.

bschaad
by SpadersVader on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM
I love tacos. I have the fixings in the pantry.

Quoting Djinn83:

Me too. The only white I drink is oaked chardonay. I need to think of a meal. I'm thinkin tacos to go with my riesling. SPICY TACOS! Or maybe quesadillas.

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM

make sure its spicy tacos, or it wont pair well.

Quoting bschaad: I love tacos. I have the fixings in the pantry.
Quoting Djinn83:

bschaad
by SpadersVader on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:44 PM
This thread is starving me to death.
foggypop
by AfterMyOwnHeart on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I had Riseling once and did not like it, but I'll give it another try.

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Why didn't you like it? Did you try it with food? 

Quoting foggypop:

I had Riseling once and did not like it, but I'll give it another try.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)