Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Be honest

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 618 Total Views
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Orlynao
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Urban dictionary says yes.

"The most vile racial slur that can be used against an Italian-American. Refers to the Guinea Coast of Africa; using this slur is a very offensive way of implying that Italian-Americans are non-whites (something we tend to get very defensive about!!).

by Ray M. January 26, 2004"

Even though that's a copy-paste and I didn't type it, it made me uncomfortable and I deleted the example in a sentence.
Orlynao
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I had no idea that was an offensive term until I googled though so I wouldn't have noticed until you said something.
ladiefurious
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM
I was taught to never use that term. My hometown has a huge Italian population. It's not ok IMO
Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Yeah, well no one has said something after it I made my comment.  If she has the Italian flag next to her name, she knows what it means.  And most Italian-Americans I know wouldn't call each other Dago, either.  Guido is suspect, too, but I have never heard it down here.  It might be a regional thing.  

It just make my blood boil that BHB is so up in arms about anything negative said about certain groups, but it seems to be okay to be negative toward other groups.  Perfect definition of hypocrite.  No one even asked what I was talking about.  

Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

And you could say that my great grandfather was a "wop", but I would never say that to his face.  The story is that he didn't have papers when he arrived to this country.  Hell, his last name is the name of a town in Sicily, so we don't know if that was just the name given to him when he arrived or what. 

12345abcde54321
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't appreciate racial slurs used by anyone. It has a negative impact.

ForgetfulSheep
by Nope the Fuck Out on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Yeah that's bullshit
Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Well, I guess my report is being ignored.  I don't know how long it takes for someone to do anything about it.  I know I won't hear anything from the powers of BBC.  

ladiefurious
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Can I ask how you're doing? Everything ok? You don't have to answer.
justpeekingin
by bit.ly/1qwaBOX on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Maybe she means Guinea, as in the African country and is just confused on the colors of the flag?

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1414/14143859/2444395-4772028483-tumbl.gif

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)