• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Video blames parents for obesity epidemic

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 422 Total Views

Thoughts? It's a harsh truth I guess.... Parents are mad. But as always, you can only blame your parents for so long. Once you hit your twenties, it's on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgB1fdDRaAc

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lalina0508
by TheatricsOnTap on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM
It's true. I'm guilty. And I'll admit it. My children aren't obese but they eat more junk food than I'd like. And i find myself buying it for them out of guilt kind of. I really do need to stop that shit.
SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Its not clicky but I agree. I also don't believe in picky eaters.
Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM

fixed, its pretty harsh.

Quoting SASSYCJB: Its not clicky but I agree. I also don't believe in picky eaters.

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Some parents need a wake-up call

Quoting Djinn83:

fixed, its pretty harsh.

Quoting SASSYCJB: Its not clicky but I agree. I also don't believe in picky eaters.

Djinn83
by DYKEFIEND on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Well. They are calling it single mom shaming and fat shaming.

Quoting SASSYCJB: Some parents need a wake-up call
Quoting Djinn83:

fixed, its pretty harsh.

12345abcde54321
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you that people need to take responsibility for healthy choices as adults regardless of what their parents did right or wrong. That said, it's always better to set a good example and make it easy for your kids to know good nutrition and healthy living in general.

I don't see it as single mom shaming at all. Maybe single moms are too busy to get gourmet meals on the table with loads of ingredients and prep time; but what's so hard about an apple, a handful of unsalted nuts, chicken on the grill, hard boiled eggs, whole wheat bread, salads, water, etc etc?

It's no harder than hamburger helper, fruit loops, soda, etc.. It's just a matter of which you want to choose.

Quoting Djinn83:

Well. They are calling it single mom shaming and fat shaming.

Quoting SASSYCJB: Some parents need a wake-up call
Quoting Djinn83:

fixed, its pretty harsh.

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I didn't really see it as fat shaming, but as a cause and effect type thing. I mean it's true that if you eat nothing but garbage and do nothing but play video games you'll be wrecking your body.

We don't eat fast food or have video games, BUT I'm not going to not make birthday cakes fer cryin out loud.
Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM

They are not the Loch Ness monster.  

If you like I can strange your belief.  You can have my son for a week.  You can feed him whatever you want.  I bet you will believe in picky eaters then.  With that said, I don't cater to his every want.  He gets to simply choose what he wants to eat or not eat.  If he doesn't like what I make for dinner then he doesn't have to eat it, but I don't make anything else.  Now, I do try to make foods he likes for dinner.  It is not like I am making brussel sprouts everynight.  

I don't see it as blaming anyone.  I do think there needs to be moderation.  I bought 2 packages of cookies Friday.  They are still in the pantry unopened.  The kids have torn into the grapes, though.  I am not saying I couldn't do better, because I sure can. I am not going to put any food off limits. I have one child that will try anything.  I have one child that is super picky that has come a long way.  And I have another child that is borderline, because she likes to do what her brother does. 

Could we be more healthy?  Yes.  Do we blame anyone else for our size or health? NO.  

SASSYCJB
by sweet sassy molassey on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM
I believe picky eaters are created. Unless the have sensory issues or some other thing out of their control. I dont have picky eaters because at a young age he doesn't have choices he eats what's put in front of him and if he claims he doesn't like it he still has to take a courtesy bite no matter what.

Quoting Soulprncs2:

If you like I can strange your belief.  You can have my son for a week.  You can feed him whatever you want.  I bet you will believe in picky eaters then.  With that said, I don't cater to his every want.  He gets to simply choose what he wants to eat or not eat.  If he doesn't like what I make for dinner then he doesn't have to eat it, but I don't make anything else.  Now, I do try to make foods he likes for dinner.  It is not like I am making brussel sprouts everynight.  

I don't see it as blaming anyone.  I do think there needs to be moderation.  I bought 2 packages of cookies Friday.  They are still in the pantry unopened.  The kids have torn into the grapes, though.  I am not saying I couldn't do better, because I sure can. I am not going to put any food off limits. I have one child that will try anything.  I have one child that is super picky that has come a long way.  And I have another child that is borderline, because she likes to do what her brother does. 

Could we be more healthy?  Yes.  Do we blame anyone else for our size or health? NO.  

Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Yeah, I thought that, too, because ODD ate anything that was put in front of her.  DS gagged on food at 4 mos, so we waited until he was 5 mos.  I made all his food.  He refused everything, sweet potatoes, the mixes (he especially hated anything mixed), no meat (he still doesn't eat much meat), etc.  The only thing he would eat and not spit back at me was apples. Trust me this was a long frustrating journey.  He was never diagnosed with anything, but I suspect somethings he didn't like the way they feel in his mouth. I  have the same issue with oatmeal and other mushy foods.  I will eat mashed potatoes, though.  

Dh was in your mindset.  So at the young age of 3 yrs old, Dh was tired of Ds not eating or even trying anything.  So he said he had to sit there and couldn't get up until he tried it.  It was something bland like risi e bisi.  That is when we discovered that DS could throw up at will.  At that point, I said it was up to DS if he wanted to eat or not.  I wasn't going to make him special meals, but he had the choice.  I knew he wouldn't try, because he gets snacks.  If he choose to go to bed without dinner no big deal. 

This boy didn't eat sandwiches.  It was hell making his lunch for preschool.  I am sure they thought what was this cracker and cheese shit this woman is feeding this poor child.  He refused my homemade mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.  That went on for years.  He didn't like anything in a tortilla.  ODD likes peanut butter and apples in a tortilla.  

There have been some victories.  DS will eat a ham sandwich with a little bit of mayo, but NO cheese.  He will eat cheese in other areas.  He will eat a hard boiled egg, but NO yolk.  He will eat the school's tacos, but not mine that I make without the taco seasoning packet. He doesn't like crackers much, anymore.  As a toddler that was the only snack he would eat, crackers.  Seriously, the boy only ate crackers. He is 8 and he is more willing to try things, like at Boy scouts when there was a fear factor challenge. I think this is from being around his peers and that we have pushed him to do things that he didn't like at first.  He had problems changing clothes when the seasons changed.  He hated when we changed toothpaste. He hated getting new shoes, even when his toes curled.  Yes, that was me holding a child down to get a new pair of sneakers on him at the store.  

I never pushed the diagnose issue, because I didn't think he was severe enough and we were seeing progress.  He was already in speech therapy that he hated.  I didn't want him to push it more. Now, I pushed with YDD, because she was refusing to walk and scream bloody murder going down slides and swings.  They never said why, but the problem was solved through OT.  You just never know.  

Quoting SASSYCJB: I believe picky eaters are created. Unless the have sensory issues or some other thing out of their control. I dont have picky eaters because at a young age he doesn't have choices he eats what's put in front of him and if he claims he doesn't like it he still has to take a courtesy bite no matter what.
Quoting Soulprncs2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)