Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Journalist Steven Sotloff has been executed by ISIS. What will the president do with all these be headings? Ugh.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/world/meast/isis-american-journalist-sotloff/index.html
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Replies (51-53):
Fibonaccisequin
by Whipper of masses on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Let us not dive into the depths of the October Surprise conspiracy in regards to Carter, Reagan, and the Iranian Hostage Crisis.

It is an ugly thing.

Quoting Djinn83:

A report just came out that said Obama waited 30 days before acting on intelligence about James Foley's whereabouts. By the time he gave the green light, foley was moved. Did he listen to his advisors? Or ignore out of fear of another incident? It takes balls to conduct operations inside a sovereign country. The risks are high. 

We will never know what his advisors told him, if that's why he waited or for something else. just another example of my previous comment. It's not his job to come up with a plan, but it is his Job to decide whether or not to execute that plan, and many factors go into that decision. Most of them political, and those goes for ALL presidents. The Iranian hostage crisis defined jimmy Carter's presidency, and most would say cost him re-election. But can anybody really argue that trying to rescue Americans wasn't the right thing to do?

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Lol. No my first comment was a response to the comment I quoted.

and nobody would've known he passed on Osama , because it was all classified information. I'm sure there have been plenty of times presidents have passed on good intelligence because of political complications. We just won't know about, either ever or when it's declassified 70 years from now. There were plenty of presidents that passed on KGB intelligence because it would be too high profile if the mission went south.

Quoting Fibonaccisequin:

Oh thank god. I was wondering if you had taken complete leave of your senses for moment.

I read it as the ellipsis acting as a bridge connecting the incomplete thought communicated in the first sentence with the more fleshed out latter paragraph. This made it appear as though you blamed the capping of OBL's ass at the command of Obama as the spark that created the current ISIS situation. 

Quoting Djinn83:

You might want to reread what I wrote, I said he could have. Thankfully he didn't. It was an example of how he COULD have ignored advisors out of fear of a international (political) incident. Notice the paragraph separation.... Two different thoughts that are related.

Quoting Fibonaccisequin:

Whaaaaaat?

Bush II spent millions of dollars and man hours looking for that fucker. This is just silly. If Obama had OBL's location and didn't greenlight the mission the howling from the rafters would have sounded like feeding time at the monkey exhibit. There would have been calls for impeachment, er.. more calls for impeachment than have already been entertained.

Seriously. We should have let OBL live out his golden years in peace? Did you laugh when you typed that out? I laughed when I read it.

Quoting Djinn83:

However... Sometimes they don't listen to their advisors... o_O

its not his job to come up with a plan, but it is his job to green light or trash it. So ethi es they don't make the right call because of political pressure. Everybody is afraid of another Iranian hostage crisis. Obama could've easily let Osama live out his days in Pakistan, and none would be the wiser. But he decided to green light the mission and risked a possible international hostage crisis again. 

Djinn83
by lainey's idol on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Hahaha, oh trust me, I don't plan to. I'm just pointing out why presidents may trash a mission on a political basis.

Quoting Fibonaccisequin:

Let us not dive into the depths of the October Surprise conspiracy in regards to Carter, Reagan, and the Iranian Hostage Crisis.

It is an ugly thing.

Quoting Djinn83:

A report just came out that said Obama waited 30 days before acting on intelligence about James Foley's whereabouts. By the time he gave the green light, foley was moved. Did he listen to his advisors? Or ignore out of fear of another incident? It takes balls to conduct operations inside a sovereign country. The risks are high. 

We will never know what his advisors told him, if that's why he waited or for something else. just another example of my previous comment. It's not his job to come up with a plan, but it is his Job to decide whether or not to execute that plan, and many factors go into that decision. Most of them political, and those goes for ALL presidents. The Iranian hostage crisis defined jimmy Carter's presidency, and most would say cost him re-election. But can anybody really argue that trying to rescue Americans wasn't the right thing to do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN