Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is why i struggle with being a working mom

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 812 Total Views
And i guess everyone has the same struggle.

This morning ds and ydd have their Christmas concerts. This afternoon will be odd's christmas concert. They have never split up the school like this before.

Odd's concert is special because the 7th grade always does a silly version of the 12 days of Christmas. I have been waiting for this since she was in 3rd grade.

The problem is, if i would've know i would have taken the whole day off. I hate to call and say instead of coming in late, im not coming in at all.

I know the ladies (there is only 4 of us) would say no problem. But i would feel they were secretly upset.

I don't think i would be let go, since im licensed and at the first of the yr it will only be 2 of us.

I just hate these decisions. Not to mention i like to prepare to be out. Just frustrating. Dh is no help. He just says fanily first. He hasn't work in an office or had a boss in over 20 yrs.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSteph05
by You've Seen Me Aroun on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally would call in and explain that you didn't realize the split. That you can come in for an hour between (if that is possible) or you will see them Monday. If you are pretty sure your job is secure I wouldn't stress it.

Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM
I will definitely go in. I might be able to do a couple of hours and see what they say.

It just sucks, because last Friday i went in for 2 hours due to a funeral and now this. I just don't want it to bite me the ass.

I will say the whole office has been really good abt this kind of stuff.
ladybugchick317
by Still Suspect on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I work in an office and I say family first. I am sure that they can handle one day without you there.

SuperGirlAgain
by ┬┐What is rank? on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM
You can't control death or your kids school. Definitely go. I'd call my office and make sure they don't mind covering and apologize but your kids are only young once.
nattyjoe
by Cotton-eyed on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM
I'd go to the concerts.

Most of the time, paperwork can be made up another time.

My mentor at an old job was a very successful working mother. And she always told me to make time for family - one day worth of work isn't life or death.

I mean, yeah, that could be the case if you're a world class surgeon, but for the average paper pusher like us the world isn't going to end if we take a day off.
Soulprncs2
by PrincessBroad on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I know the world won't end, but i do want to know that they can depend on me.

Looks like i won't be able to make it. They have to show me how to balance the book. *sigh*

I told odd this might happen. I will try to find a parent that took some video. It just sucks that the school changed it.
AardvarkSundae
by You've Seen Me Aroun on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm high strung about my job, so i get the stress of it. The way I try to look at these things is that I can always get a new job, but I can't redo special moments with my family.
Jack_Bauer
by selfish lover on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The struggle is real. I feel ya.

Bunny_Swan
by foofooclue on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM
3 moms liked this

I totally get it. My boss is amazing, but there's just a "thing" I have about not wanting to push it too much.

So today when YDS asked if I was coming to his cookie party, I said "No, because I'm coming tot he holiday party next Friday."

My boss would not have cared, I know this. But...I just feel a need to balance it all out.

Quoting Soulprncs2: I will definitely go in. I might be able to do a couple of hours and see what they say. It just sucks, because last Friday i went in for 2 hours due to a funeral and now this. I just don't want it to bite me the ass. I will say the whole office has been really good abt this kind of stuff.

12345abcde54321
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 7:04 AM

I can't relate to this. My job is my life. It comes second only to my kids and it's a really close second. When I need to take a day or an afternoon off, I take it and I don't think twice. Yes, things will not be ideal in my absence, but that's life and it only happens a handful of times each year.

All of my coworkers do the same and we understand each other's need for time off occasionally to go to appointments, handle family, etc. It's really no big deal and the world continues to turn.

Can't you learn how to balance the book at some point other than those very few hours that you want to be there for your kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)