Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Year's Dinner

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 632 Total Views
So...mama usually cooked New Year's dinner and it was always collards and cornbread and peas and rice. Southern tradition. Collards for money, peas for luck. Well, she's not here to cook this year and im not sure I'm in the mood for great Southern traditions. I'm of a mind to start some new traditions. So tell me...what are you having for dinner on New Years Day?
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12345abcde54321
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Corn and sweet potato chowder in mini bread bowls with salad. My mom and sister and her family are coming over.

GirlWithANikon
by Still Suspect on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn;t know new years had a special dinner. I thinkwe are going to eat out because we are going to go watch the pineapple drop, its like our states version of the ball dropping in NY. We are gonna have to be there early if  we want parking.

TheRealMcBeal
by Ally on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I plan on making stuffed cabbage (aka pigs in a blanket where I'm from), mashed potatoes, and a crockpot of pork and sauerkraut. It's pretty standard fare around here for New Years.
loopymom4
by HeartlessNoSoulBitch on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Around here we take any excuse at all for a big meal, lol. We're from the South...we'll make sure you're not hungry.

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

I didn;t know new years had a special dinner. I thinkwe are going to eat out because we are going to go watch the pineapple drop, its like our states version of the ball dropping in NY. We are gonna have to be there early if  we want parking.

loopymom4
by HeartlessNoSoulBitch on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM
That sounds good. I don't think I'm as good of a cook as you are though.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

Corn and sweet potato chowder in mini bread bowls with salad. My mom and sister and her family are coming over.

muzzyh
by Perfect 10 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably veggie pasta (heavy on veggies, light on pasta) because we've eaten nothing but cookies, bars, gravy, cheese, stuffing, potatoes, etc., for 2 weeks and no one has taken a proper dump in way too long. Plus its one of the only dinners I make that both kids actually enjoy eating, so we have it quite often.
reandbp
by SesameStreetCyclops on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
It's summer here so we usually do a BBqQ and hope it's hotenough to go for a midnight swim at the beach
loopymom4
by HeartlessNoSoulBitch on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Oh i like the sound of that!

Quoting reandbp: It's summer here so we usually do a BBqQ and hope it's hotenough to go for a midnight swim at the beach
TheSuperFreak
by TheCherryPinkCat on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We do a small pot of black eyed peas and ham, some cabbage cooked down with potatoes, onions and carrots and we add some oven baked bbq baby back ribs or oven bbq chicken.

AngrySprinkles
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Around here it is sauerkraut and sausage (or ham) every new years. it is good luck and mighty tasty! DH and I both grew up with it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)