Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

4 Least Messy Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs Posted

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM
  • 11 Replies

4 Least Messy Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on Mar 30, 2012

Every year, I dread Easter. Not because of the chocolate or even the jellybeans (nom, nom, nom). It's cleaning up after the whole Easter egg dyeing process that just sucks the fun out of the holiday for me. But 2012 is going to be the mess-free Easter for me!

That's right. None of that old-fashioned dippin' and dyein'. I am going full-on, easy, breezy drip-free egg decorating. Care to join me? Here's the plan!

1. Stickers. The kid likes to put them on the doors. And the walls. And the toilet. So gosh darnit, we're going to use them in an appropriate place this holiday!

2. Silk ties. This is an oldie but a goodie taught to me by an older woman in my community, and a certain home-making maven approves (ahem, rhymes with Bartha Pewart). Best part, folks? There are no paints. Repeat after me: no paints. Yeah, you're sold too, aren't you? We have the whole process, step by step!

3. Markers. What do you mean you don't have any of these? You have a child, do you not? Good. So listen to me: these are amaaaazing. On pumpkins. On eggs. On anything but the wall of my hallway where a certain child has written her name (so glad the nursery school teachers shared that little gem).

4. Glue and glitter. Seriously, people, how did I not think of this before? I have a 6-year-old daughter who does not think there is anything that cannot be improved with glitter (well, she's kind of right). So you take that hard-boiled egg, you roll it in glue, then you roll it in glitter and ... voila! Genius! Not "totally" mess-free, but glitter is a lot easier to sweep up than food dye, right?

What's your mess-free Easter trick?

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

sounds like fun

eustacejessica
by Jess on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

we don't have a mess free way, we just get in there and get messy!

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I like the silk tie idea, that looks fun.  We just do the regular dying.  I just cover the table with newspaper!

proudmommy690
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM
sounds fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM
i would think that markers, glitter and glue would be messy too! lol the kids would end up coloring and gluing themselves and make a mess with glitter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM

We just jump on in with the mess. The kids love making the eggs. DS is a hot mess with markers, so I can only imagine the mess from glue and glitter.

LovesFredric
by Amanda on Apr. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

my baby would probably love the stickers!

I love to eat the eggs afterwards, so we'll be staying away from the glitter :) :)

flutter523
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Glitter is a pita imo. We like messy lol. If its nice well take it outside to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM

tyvm for the info hun!  :)

Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I read a blog recently about using foods to color them like beets, red cabage, and things like that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN