Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

How To Get Started Cooking with Kids

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

Cooking with your kids is an awesome life lesson. It teaches teamwork, helps them hone their fine motor skills, teaches creativity and flexibility. Most importantly, cooking is something that they will use for the rest of their lives. As your child becomes a recalcitrant teen, and conversation becomes more difficult, cooking together can bridge any size gap.

Cooking with your kids doesn't require a lot of expensive tools, no gourmet foods and no exotic locations. It does require patience, tolerance, understanding and a sense of humor for when stuff goes wrong - which it will, at least fairly often in the beginning. It can be stressful, but the memories and the lessons you give to your children are priceless.

Cooking with your kids has a lot to offer - but how do you get started?

Start at the beginning. It's a very good place to start. (My apologies to Julie Andrews and the cast of The Sound of Music.)

Go over the basics in the kitchen.

Start with Food Safety -Teach the importance of hand washing - and then teach it again. I once had a culinary teacher who had us all put pink food coloring on our freshly washed hands, and ten minutes later, she showed us every single place we'd touched on our faces. It was a LOT more than we'd ever imagined. Teach your kids the need to pull hair back from the face. Talk about what food need to get chilled and why, and how long raw and cooked foods can be out on the counter.

Demonstrate Knife Safety - You can purchase child safe knives, or allow your child to use your knife with your hand over it. Teach her to curve her fingers under and how to rock the knife over the food. Use a cutting board and dedicate one for fruit and veg and a separate one for meats.Talk about cleaning the cutting board.

Pick Easy to Prepare Foods - Choosing foods that are easy to create means a greater chance of success and more chance that your child will want to cook again. Grilled cheese, pancakes, trail mix, cupcakes - all of these are foods that kids enjoy that don't require a large amount of prep time.

Measurement Basics - Also known as,  I do not think that the one cup liquid measurement means what you think it means. There's a difference between a liquid and a solid measuring cup. Flour needs to be spooned in and leveled off. Go over the basics of measurement with your child.

Stir Does Not Mean Whip. Cooking can be broken down into basic terms, and some of those are stir, whip, cream,chop, dice, mix, fold. Each of these involves a separate skill. The ability to differentiate between these skills can often make or break a recipe.

Cooking is a skill that each and every one of us needs - but it can be tricky to teach your child. What is the one thing you wish you'd known about the kitchen when you first began cooking?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ 4774344sean

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Cool thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovesFredric
by Amanda on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Cooking is such a fun family activity & promotes all kinds of learning! Love it!

proudmommy690
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM
tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM
i just wish i knew how to cook lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM
my DD does help me cook, she help's me stir the pancake mix. Or makes her own peanut butter sandwhichs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:38 PM
My 2 yo loves to help whenever I let him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I'm not sure, I guess I learned by osmosis and I learned a few tricks along the way.  If I had to pick then I wish I knew for a juicier turkey, stuff it with apples and oranges instead of stuffing!

bamababe1975
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

We started with them very early on, just getting them to add things for me. I think my oldest was about 9mos when I sat her up on the counter and let her shake the salt for me and throw in chocolate chips for cookies I was baking.

bamababe1975
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Oh and the thing I wish I knew from the start was that veggies do not have to be cooked to mush, lol. I did learn that from cooking shows, just not from my mom, lol.

elasmimi
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM

My child is 5, and she does help, but no knives yet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement