Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your family have a closely-guarded secret recipe?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 18 Replies

In my family, there have been a few recipes that nobody wants to share. They were handed down through the generations but whatever person received that gift tends to keep it to themselves until they *have* to share it, lol. One example was my great-grandmother's pound cake recipe. She taught it to my grandfather since he was the oldest and he taught it tp my mom because she was the oldest, but my mom never would teach me. Finally I mentioned it to my sister and my sister said, "Oh, I have that recipe!" ARGH! I'm the oldest, and the tradition has been that the oldest gets this one, plus my sister, bless her heart, cannot bake to save her life. Anyway, she gave me the recipe and my mom is mad with my sister for sharing it with me. When my sister asked why she said, "I don't want her making it better than I do! She cooks and bakes EVERYTHING better than I do!" LOL

Do you have a secret recipe handed down through your family? Do you keep it close to your vest or share it with family who ask for it?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flutter523
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Our fruit salad is secret. My SIL has been begging and guessing for almost 9 years now but I'm not sharing. My sisters and mom has it but I want to keep it in my family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovesFredric
by Amanda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM

oh that is funny!!!  nope, we don't have any secret recipes.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

We do not.

Glad you got the recipe =)

othermom
by Danelle on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

not that I know of

snuggiewoogie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Nope

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM
No, we openly share recipes.
bamababe1975
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Totally understandable. I haven't let my sils know the recipe, either, and my sister who has it won't share it with them, either.

Quoting flutter523:

Our fruit salad is secret. My SIL has been begging and guessing for almost 9 years now but I'm not sharing. My sisters and mom has it but I want to keep it in my family

bamababe1975
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Me, too! I could imagine my great-grandmother wanting to smack my mom for not sharing it with me. I'm the only one of the great-grandchildren the woman ever met *and* I was born on her birthday! My mom can be pretty childish sometimes, though.

Quoting charlene_kyle:

We do not.

Glad you got the recipe =)

momkaribg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Not really.

Strega
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Our Family has a Gravy (Pasta Sauce) Recipe, and we don't share. Even I had to pry it out of my Grandmother!

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)