Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

4th of July recipes.

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM
  • 20 Replies

chocolate haystacks(c) 2007 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com

Chocolate Coconut Haystacks are dressed up in colorful sprinkles in this 4th of July candy recipe. Try using different types of sprinkles and colored sugars to add color and variety to the candies.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
  • 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
  • Assorted candy sprinkles

Preparation:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

2. Place the coconut in a pie tin or small baking pan, and toast it in the oven until golden brown. The secret to good toasted coconut is consistent browning, so be sure to stir it every 2 minutes until it is an even, light golden color. It will probably take 8-10 minutes, but monitor your coconut carefully.

3. While the coconut is toasting, place the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it until it is melted, stirring every 45 seconds.

4. Once coconut is toasted and chocolate is melted, stir the coconut into the chocolate, mixing until coconut is entirely coated with chocolate.

5. Using a small teaspoon, drop small spoonfuls of the candy onto the prepared sheet. While the chocolate is still wet, scatter the sprinkles evenly on top of the candies.

6. Once all candy has been formed, refrigerate for 30 minutes, until the chocolate is set.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momkaribg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Double Berry Truffles photo(c) 2011 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.

Blueberry preserves and dried strawberries give Double Berry Truffles a vibrant burst of berry flavor, as well as a beautiful red, white, and blue color scheme. These taste a lot like blueberry cheesecake! You can omit the blue food coloring (especially if you want to avoid having a blue mouth for the rest of the day!) but be aware that the truffle filling will be a dull purple-gray without any added coloring.

I think the freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries on top give the truffles a wonderful crunchy texture, but if you can't find them, any dried berries or red and blue sprinkles will work nicely. I usually find my freeze-dried berries at Trader Joe's markets, and they are also available online.

Yield: 48 small (1-inch) truffles

Ingredients:

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 lb white chocolate
  • 3/4 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup good-quality blueberry preserves
  • 3-4 drops blue food coloring (optional)
  • 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries, to decorate
  • 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries, to decorate

Preparation:

1.Melt 6 ounces of white chocolate (about 1 cup of chip-sized pieces) in the microwave or over a double boiler, and allow it to cool slightly.

2. Place the softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl and beat on medium-high until smooth and creamy. Add the melted white chocolate and beat until smooth.

3. Stir in the cookie crumbs, blueberry preserves, vanilla, and food coloring. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for an hour, until the candy is firm enough to roll.

4. Shape the mixture into small balls and place them on a baking sheet that is covered with aluminum foil. Refrigerate until the balls are quite firm, about 1 hour.

5. Melt or temper the remaining 10 ounces of white chocolate. Finely chop the freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries, if you're using them.

6. Dip the truffles in the white chocolate using dipping tools or two forks. Place the chocolate-coated truffles back on the baking sheet, and while the chocolate is still wet, top them with a sprinkling of the chopped fruit.

7. Return the truffles to the refrigerator to set the chocolate. Store Double Berry Truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, and allow them to come to room temperature before serving.

Strega
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Nice! I always do a Flag Ice Cream Cake for the 4th.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

momkaribg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Red White and Blueberry Bark photo

Red, White and Blueberry Bark is a white chocolate bark packed with crunchy, vibrantly flavored freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries. I usually find my freeze-dried fruit at Trader Joe's markets. If you can't find freeze-dried berries, you can substitute regular dried fruit, but your bark will be chewy instead of crunchy and will lose some of the bright red and blue color.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 12 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped (or white chocolate chips)
  • 3/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries
  • 3/4 cup freeze-dried cranberries

Preparation:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil. Coarsely chop the dried strawberries and dried blueberries. Remove about 2 tablespoons of each and chop these berries finely, then set the finely chopped berries aside to sprinkle on top of the bark at the end.

2. Melt or temper the white chocolate. Tempering chocolate takes more time, but it will keep your bark from melting in warmer temperatures and gives it a nice "snap." Alternately, you can use white chocolate candy coating instead of real white chocolate.

3. Add the coarsely chopped berries to the melted white chocolate and stir until they're well-distributed and your mixture is nice and chunky.

4. Scrape the white chocolate mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Use a knife or a spatula to smooth it into an even layer around 1/3-inch thick.

5. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the finely chopped strawberries and blueberries all over the top.

6. Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate, for about 25 minutes. Once firm, break it up into small pieces by hand to serve. Red, White, and Blueberry Bark can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. The fruit on top of the bark will get softer over time as it is exposed to air.

momkaribg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Do you make it yourself?

Quoting Strega:

momkaribg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

fudge

This tri-colored vanilla fudge is prepared in three stages. It’s extremely simple to make, but requires a few hours of chilling time total, so make sure to give yourself plenty of time to make this recipe.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups (12 oz) white chocolate chips
  • 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
  • red and blue food coloring

Preparation:

1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Place 4 ounces (about 2/3 cup) white chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, about 1-1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time.

3. Stir until the chocolate is a smooth paste. Once the chocolate is smooth, add approximately 1/3 of the frosting and a few drops of red food coloring. Stir to combine, and adjust the coloring amount until you get a red you are satisfied with.

4. Pour the red fudge into the prepared pan and refrigerate until mostly set, 45 minutes-1 hour. The fudge does not have to be rock hard, but should be set enough so that it doesn’t move when the pan is tilted.

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3, omitting the food coloring. Pour the white-colored fudge over the red fudge and return to the refrigerator to allow the new layer to set.

6. Repeat steps 2 and 3 once more, this time adding a few drops of blue food coloring. Pour the blue fudge over the white layer and return to the refrigerator once more. Allow to set fully, about 2 hours.

7. To serve, cut into 1-inch squares. Be sure to use a large knife with a smooth blade, and wipe the blade frequently to ensure that the sides of the fudge squares do not get smeared with other colors. Stored in an airtight refrigerated container this fudge will last for up to a week.

Strega
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Yep!

Quoting momkaribg:

Do you make it yourself?

Quoting Strega:

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

ceciliam
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM

These look good.

Quoting momkaribg:

Double Berry Truffles photo(c) 2011 Elizabeth LaBau, licensed to About.com, Inc.

Blueberry preserves and dried strawberries give Double Berry Truffles a vibrant burst of berry flavor, as well as a beautiful red, white, and blue color scheme. These taste a lot like blueberry cheesecake! You can omit the blue food coloring (especially if you want to avoid having a blue mouth for the rest of the day!) but be aware that the truffle filling will be a dull purple-gray without any added coloring.

I think the freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries on top give the truffles a wonderful crunchy texture, but if you can't find them, any dried berries or red and blue sprinkles will work nicely. I usually find my freeze-dried berries at Trader Joe's markets, and they are also available online.

Yield: 48 small (1-inch) truffles

Ingredients:

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 lb white chocolate
  • 3/4 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup good-quality blueberry preserves
  • 3-4 drops blue food coloring (optional)
  • 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberries, to decorate
  • 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries, to decorate

Preparation:

1.Melt 6 ounces of white chocolate (about 1 cup of chip-sized pieces) in the microwave or over a double boiler, and allow it to cool slightly.

2. Place the softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl and beat on medium-high until smooth and creamy. Add the melted white chocolate and beat until smooth.

3. Stir in the cookie crumbs, blueberry preserves, vanilla, and food coloring. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for an hour, until the candy is firm enough to roll.

4. Shape the mixture into small balls and place them on a baking sheet that is covered with aluminum foil. Refrigerate until the balls are quite firm, about 1 hour.

5. Melt or temper the remaining 10 ounces of white chocolate. Finely chop the freeze-dried strawberries and blueberries, if you're using them.

6. Dip the truffles in the white chocolate using dipping tools or two forks. Place the chocolate-coated truffles back on the baking sheet, and while the chocolate is still wet, top them with a sprinkling of the chopped fruit.

7. Return the truffles to the refrigerator to set the chocolate. Store Double Berry Truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, and allow them to come to room temperature before serving.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

mmm mmm great recipes!

momkaribg
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Thanks i cant wait until i get to make them.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

mmm mmm great recipes!

Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Those look GOOD! I found a cute thing to do on Pinterest with watermelon. You cut a whole slice of watermelon and use cookie cutters to make shapes :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN