The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Potato salad dilemma

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 29 Replies

My husband wants me to make potato salad. I've never made it before. Usually my Mom or Mother-in-law makes it when we have get togethers. I love my Mom's, but my hubby doesn't. He wants me to make it like his Mom's which is super nasty. I never eat it.

Does anybody have a potato salad recipe for me to try?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovesFredric
by Amanda on May. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM

er oh!  I've never made it either!

livewell
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I don't have a recipe per se - but I just cook the potatoes (soaking them in water overnight before boiling them is a good tip) mix with chopped boiled egg, mayo, yellow mustard, onion and pepper :)

thehickinhickor
by Jessie on May. 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

just the one my nenny made and i could not tell you cups and all that what type dose his mom make ? 

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on May. 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM

betty crocker or http://www.ehow.com/ GL hun!

MissyB1011
by Missy on May. 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Because I am technically challenged...what does soaking the potatoes do or don't do to them?

Thanks for the recipe!

Quoting livewell:

I don't have a recipe per se - but I just cook the potatoes (soaking them in water overnight before boiling them is a good tip) mix with chopped boiled egg, mayo, yellow mustard, onion and pepper :)

MissyB1011
by Missy on May. 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out after supper.

Quoting powow65:

betty crocker or http://www.ehow.com/ GL hun!

MissyB1011
by Missy on May. 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Quoting thehickinhickor:

just the one my nenny made and i could not tell you cups and all that what type dose his mom make ? 

My MIL uses raw onions in hers. I haven't been able to eat them since I had my gallbladder out. They make me nasty sick.

I also think I don't like hers because she overcooks her potatoes and they end up mushy. I tend to like mine with a little bit of a crunch.

livewell
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Soaking the whole, uncooked potatoes in water before boiling them removes a lot of the starch (the water will look a little milky) and makes it so that they are not as "crumb"y. :)

Quoting MissyB1011:

Because I am technically challenged...what does soaking the potatoes do or don't do to them?

Thanks for the recipe!

Quoting livewell:

MissyB1011
by Missy on May. 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Thanks for the info! Does it matter if the water is hot or cold to start off? I know it would end up cold by morning.

Quoting livewell:

Soaking the whole, uncooked potatoes in water before boiling them removes a lot of the starch (the water will look a little milky) and makes it so that they are not as "crumb"y. :)

Quoting MissyB1011:

Thanks for the recipe!

Quoting livewell:

thehickinhickor
by Jessie on May. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM
My aunts did her that way i just don't add them or i make half with it the other with out

Quoting MissyB1011:

Quoting thehickinhickor:

My MIL uses raw onions in hers. I haven't been able to eat them since I had my gallbladder out. They make me nasty sick.

I also think I don't like hers because she overcooks her potatoes and they end up mushy. I tend to like mine with a little bit of a crunch.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)