Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Muffins and Veggies and Fruits

Posted by   + Show Post

Breakfast. The most important meal of the day, or so we've been told, yes? In the hustle and bustle of the morning, it can be tough to get a balanced meal in, especially if you've got picky children to toss into the mixture. Muffins can be a fantastic choice, and the mini muffins make breakfast fun for the wee ones. If you bake them in baking cups, there is virtually no mess, transport is easy and the flavors of the muffins are only limited by your imagination.

Imagination can be a very good thing when it comes to making breakfast muffins for your kids.
Especially if those same children have vowed that they will never, ever eat a vegetable or fruit.

I've made muffins that contain banana, shredded carrot, squash puree, and chopped apple. My children ate them, and nary a peep of dissent was heard. My secret weapon? A handful of mini chocolate chips tossed into the batter. Pumpkin muffins are especially delicious with chocolate chips. Virtually everyone loves chocolate, and seeing those little morsels of goodness go into the batter makes the finickiest of eaters clamor to try the muffins.

Take your favorite muffin recipe - I've loaded mine below this post - and see what changes you can make that will make that muffin just a bit more healthy. Can you swap the oil for applesauce? I promise no one will know. Egg substitute is unnoticeable, and the use of it drops the fat and cholesterol counts sharply. What about switching half of the white flour for wheat? (Any more than that will make your muffin heavy. Ask me how I know.)

Then feel free to invite your kids into the kitchen to help you, and guarantee them that they'll love the finished product. Kids as young as two can drop in the mini chocolate chips, and ages 3-5 can be counted on to stir intently. Early readers can find the necessary ingredients. Older elementary can crack the eggs - letting them crack each one into a separate bowl helps to avoid any shell disasters - and measure out the ingredients. Scooping the batter with an ice cream scoop is a terric job for a middle school child. Preteens and older can make muffins by themselves, with your assistance for the putting the pans in the over and taking them out aspect.

Delicious Morning Muffins

•     1/2 cup butter, softened
  •     1/2 cup brown sugar - I've successfully cut this down to 1/4, but try to your taste
  •     2 large bananas, mashed
  •     1 (4.5 ounce) jar baby food squash - I've used up to 7 ounces, or two small containers
  •     2 carrots, grated
  •     2 eggs, beaten
  •     1 cup all-purpose flour
  •     1/2 cup oat bran
  •     1 teaspoon baking soda
  •    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon   
  •    1/2 teaspoon ginger
  •    18 teaspoon each of allspice, nutmeg and cloves
  •     Mini chocolate chips

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Line 24 mini muffin cups or 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners. (Extra points if they are covered in cartoon characters!) Cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the mashed bananas, squash, carrots, and eggs. Stir in the flour, oat bran, baking soda, spices, and salt until just combined. Add in chocolate chips to your taste - I use half of a bag, but you might like them with more chocolate! Use an ice cream scoop to fill the baking cups. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.

What are your favorite muffins to make? Do you add extra fruits and veggies to help sneak nutrition into your kids?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ rojoimages

by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM

These sound sooo good !

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Zucchini and Carrot Spice Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375 . Sift together flour, baking soda, spices and salt into large bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Add zucchini and carrots and pecans, Mix until just moistened. Divide batter into greased muffin tins. Bake about 18-20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Notes: They don't rise up much when baked, so fill muffin tins completely to the top. Makes 24 muffins. They are very moist.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Pumpkin Mini Muffins
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375. Combine sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. Mix together dry ingredients and stir into pumpkin mixture. Pour batter into greased and floured mini-muffin pans. Bake 8-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Notes: Regular muffin pans can also be use. Just adjust the cooking time to 10-15 minutes. These freeze well.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

ORANGE MUFFINS

When I first tested this recipe, I accidently left out the butter and it still worked amazingly well. So, for a lower-fat variation, simply omit the butter.

1 large orange

1/3 cup orange juice

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, at room temperature, cut into chunks

1 large egg

1/2 cup seedless golden raisins

1 tablespoon light rum

1 1/2 cups all-purpose Southern flour (Martha White brand)

3/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

Butter and flour 12 muffin cups. Grate rind from orange; reserve. Remove and discard white pith from orange and cut peeled orange into quarters, removing seeds.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a blender, combine rind, orange quarters, orange juice, butter, egg, raisins and rum; blend 5 seconds. Transfer mixture to a large nonreactive mixing bowl.

In another bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to orange mixture and stir just until blended (do not overstir).

Spoon mixture into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup two-thirds full, and bake until muffins are golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

Per muffin: 187 calories, 2 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 31 grams carbohydrates, 33 milligrams cholesterol, 386 milligrams sodium, 31 percent calories from fat.

Low-Fat Variation: Omit the butter.

Per muffin: 136 calories, 2 grams protein, 0.62 gram fat, 31 grams carbohydrates, 18 milligrams cholesterol, 328 milligrams sodium, 4 percent calories from fat.

Recipe from My Mother's Southern Kitchen

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Cranberry-Orange Muffins
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon orange flavoring (optional)
1/4 cup milk
1 cup orange juice
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon orange peel
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup thawed and drained frozen cranberries or fresh cranberries

Set oven to 400 degrees.

Line muffin cups with paper baking cups. Spray inside baking cups with non-stick spray.

In a bowl, blend together melted butter and brown sugar using a wooden spoon. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla, orange flavoring, if using, milk and orange juice.

In another bowl, combine the flours, orange peel, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in orange juice/milk mixture. Blend JUST until combined. Blend cranberries with a little flour. Gently stir in cranberries. Divide batter between prepared muffin tins.

Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until muffins test done. Turn out on a cooling rack.

Optional topping: while muffins are still warm, dip tops in melted butter, then in turbinado sugar (course grain sugar)
Note:
these muffins freeze beautifully.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Carrot, Zucchini & Apple Muffins
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup grated zucchini
1 apple, cored, finely chopped
3/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 375. Grease & flour muffin tins. Mix all ingredients except egg, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. In separate bowl, mix egg, oil and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake 25 minutes.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Apple Spice Muffins
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
1 apple, cored and chopped

Cream sugar, oil and egg. Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and applesauce and stir well. Stir in flour until smooth. Fold in apple. Fill well greased muffin cups. Bake at 325 degrees 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from pan and cool slightly.

LovesFredric
by Amanda on May. 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM
What a great idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

cool!!!!

Kainalu55
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM
I like banana muffins! My om makes good zucchini muffins
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement