Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

I never knew eating healthier would make me this happy!

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am not one of those people who have that beautiful kitchen. You know the counter space for all the gadgets. The Island. Nope just a small simple kitchen.

We recently decided to get away from Grocery store meat and Buy Grain fed beef and free range chickens. I was excited about it because I honestly think they are putting nasty crap in my food. Anyways so we bought half a cow and had it cut to our liking. It was all put away in the freezer.

We'll then came time to start buying local fresh produce. I admit I was a mom who went for a jar of Ragu spagetti sauce or fixed a box of hamburger helper. Yeap that was me! No more boxed processed food. My poor cabnets look so bare but the fridge is full of produce.

I have tried making Gravy once in my life and it did not work out so well. Okay It was NASTY! My mother was not a good cook. She made instant mashed potatoes and jar gravy. I remember my granny making bisquits and she would add a dash of this or a pinch of that. I loved watching her! Now she has had a stroke and bisquits come out of a bag.

So today I am making a Pot Roast with Homemade Gravy,with Fresh local produce and Bisquits (not out of the bag). I have a bag of fresh green beans but I have always made greenbeans out of a can(so Im not yet sure how to make them). I so wish me and Granny could sit on the porch and string some beans.

Anyways I just feel happy the last couple of days cooking. I usually hate dinner time. I don't know if its getting to try new recepies or knowing my kids are eating healthier or the sunshine with a wonderful breeze flowing in. But I am loving the kitchen!

by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
im glad you're happy :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on May. 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Thats great!

LovesFredric
by Amanda on May. 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Congrats, that is awesome!! We bought a 1/2 pig this winter and are going through that. I still need to get better at the other things & get better at planning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM
That's great! I've toyed with the idea of buying a pig but I would need a freezer first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on May. 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM

i miss buying like that ! that is great way to go 

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on May. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

that is awesome kudos hun!

(ditto@ the small kitchen)

alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Awesome!! I can always tell when my diet goes down the drain because I start to feel really crappy.

Eating healthy always makes me feel happy, energetic and horny!! LMAO.

othermom
by Danelle on May. 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I am pretty lucky. My grandparents raise pigs and give some meat to us each year so we know we get some great meat.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on May. 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM
That sounds wonderful!

Quoting momof3_2011:

I am not one of those people who have that beautiful kitchen. You know the counter space for all the gadgets. The Island. Nope just a small simple kitchen.

We recently decided to get away from Grocery store meat and Buy Grain fed beef and free range chickens. I was excited about it because I honestly think they are putting nasty crap in my food. Anyways so we bought half a cow and had it cut to our liking. It was all put away in the freezer.

We'll then came time to start buying local fresh produce. I admit I was a mom who went for a jar of Ragu spagetti sauce or fixed a box of hamburger helper. Yeap that was me! No more boxed processed food. My poor cabnets look so bare but the fridge is full of produce.

I have tried making Gravy once in my life and it did not work out so well. Okay It was NASTY! My mother was not a good cook. She made instant mashed potatoes and jar gravy. I remember my granny making bisquits and she would add a dash of this or a pinch of that. I loved watching her! Now she has had a stroke and bisquits come out of a bag.

So today I am making a Pot Roast with Homemade Gravy,with Fresh local produce and Bisquits (not out of the bag). I have a bag of fresh green beans but I have always made greenbeans out of a can(so Im not yet sure how to make them). I so wish me and Granny could sit on the porch and string some beans.

Anyways I just feel happy the last couple of days cooking. I usually hate dinner time. I don't know if its getting to try new recepies or knowing my kids are eating healthier or the sunshine with a wonderful breeze flowing in. But I am loving the kitchen!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

That is awesome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN