Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Time is Right Around the Corner

Posted by   + Show Post

Ah, summer is coming. The temperature is rising. School will be out soon and you've all of a sudden realized that you will be responsible for entertaining those lovely little beings that have been at school all day. There's only so many days you can go to the pool/beach/amusement park, and some days you will find yourself at home. You want to be active, you want them to have a good time, and you definitely want to limit their tv/videogame/electronics time - you want them to use their minds and definitely, you don't want any arguing.

What's a busy mom to do? There's virtually no way to win at the above equation, is there?

Why not create a cooking calendar?

Just what it sounds like, a cooking calendar is a schedule that you create of items you wish to cook. Have you always wanted to try your hand at making homemade bread? Chocolate ice cream? Bagels, pretzels or croissants? Maybe homemade peach butter, with peaches you've picked yourself!

Start with a large piece of posterboard and a blank paper. On the paper, jot down a list of every food that your family is interested in creating. It can be as elaborate as Baked Alaska or as simple as Ants on a Log. Let your imagination go wild and pick foods that have always been on your radar. Then, determine how often you can devote time to cooking with your children. Will it be a once a week activity? Every couple of days? Set up your calendar to devote time to these recipes.

When the day comes, take your children to the grocery to buy the items, if necessary. Go over all the basics of kitchen safety - tie back long hair, wash hands, discuss cutting boards and sanitation. Read over the recipe and select one child to get the ingredients ready on the counter - and then, get ready to have fun!

When you've created your masterpiece, take a picture (or have your child draw one!) and mount it on your posterboard. At the end of the summer, you will have a poster full of goodness and your children will not only have a new set of skills, but they will have a sense of accomplishment.

And that beats a summer of video games hands down.

ŠiStockphoto.com/ jmalov

by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
ethans_momma06
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Great ideas!

lakotakat
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I have to chuckle a little bit, remembering my sister and I pestering our Mom several times on just how she makes a homemade pie (for holidays, etc.)...!  They were always so good! 

Finally one day she said OK and sat down at the kitchen table; we waited with baited breathes, pencils poised above paper as she shared her recipe and tips.

She said, Well, first I get out my purse, coat and hat.  Then, I drive down to the store and get a cart.  I walk around the aisles and choose items for our special dinner.  I make sure to get the freshest ingredients possible.  Then when I'm finished with that, I walk over to the freezer section and see what kind of pies they have; I carefully choose one that will go well with our meal and the occasion.  I pick out one (or maybe even two) and put it in the cart.  I may also choose some ice cream to go with it.  Then I go to the cashier, pay for the groceries, load them into the car, and bring it all home! 

We had never realized that she used frozen pies, and had never actually made a genuine "homemade" pie!!

Creator, I ask you today to help me be humble.  Let me spend the day listening.  Help me today not to do those things that seek attention or approval from others.  I am only accountable to You, Oh Great Spirit.  You will tell me the things I need to know.  Let me learn the lessons from my Elders.  Let me teach the children by example.  Today, let me walk the talk.

FeiraChic
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM

very nice!

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Great idea.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

lol. Great story.

Quoting lakotakat:

I have to chuckle a little bit, remembering my sister and I pestering our Mom several times on just how she makes a homemade pie (for holidays, etc.)...!  They were always so good! 

Finally one day she said OK and sat down at the kitchen table; we waited with baited breathes, pencils poised above paper as she shared her recipe and tips.

She said, Well, first I get out my purse, coat and hat.  Then, I drive down to the store and get a cart.  I walk around the aisles and choose items for our special dinner.  I make sure to get the freshest ingredients possible.  Then when I'm finished with that, I walk over to the freezer section and see what kind of pies they have; I carefully choose one that will go well with our meal and the occasion.  I pick out one (or maybe even two) and put it in the cart.  I may also choose some ice cream to go with it.  Then I go to the cashier, pay for the groceries, load them into the car, and bring it all home! 

We had never realized that she used frozen pies, and had never actually made a genuine "homemade" pie!!

othermom
by Danelle on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

lol, so funny

Quoting lakotakat:

countrymomma81
by Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM

That sounds awesome! Can't wait to try it. We are always wanting to try new recipes but we are stuck in a rut. What a perfect way to get out of it!

kadeegrace
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:05 AM

That is a great idea.  I have done things similar to that, but I think that would work even better.  Thanks for the great tip!have a nice day

christi34
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Cool idea!!

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I've been wanting to do this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN