Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Make it - Just Because

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

We are all familiar with making cakes for a reason. It might be a birthday. There could be a holiday coming up, or a friend might have a new baby. Maybe you have new neighbors. Cakes for an occasion are exciting.

There's only one problem with a cake for an occasion - what if there isn't an occasion, and you want some cake? Why not make a cake, just because? There doesn't have to be a reason, and any day can be special enough for cake. Here's a terrific recipe that I make every so often, just because. In fact, my oldest son has been known to ask me if we can make this cake just because it's Monday/Friday/the end of the month, etc. It's a fantastically easy cake recipe that is open to interpretation and specialization, but is pretty darned good just the way it is. That's why it's called..

Pretty Darned Good Chocolate Cake

In a large mixing bowl, put 1/2 cup of oil, 1/2 cup of warm water, and 1 8 ounce container of sour cream. Mix on low. Add in 4 eggs, one at a time, and blend well. To this mixture, add 1 package of chocolate pudding mix, and when that is well mixed, add one chocolate cake mix. Stir until very well combined, and then increase the mixer speed and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low, and stir in one bag of chocolate chips. Pour mixture into a well greased bundt pan and bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then invert pan onto cooling rack and serve wtih whipped cream, ice cream or fruit.

**NOTES**

I've been making this cake for more than 15 years and have discovered several tips and tricks. You can use any combination of cake mix and pudding mix. My personal favorite is milk chocolate cake mix and white chocolate pudding mix, but I have used dark chocolate and even cheesecake pudding mix equally well. A friend makes a vanilla cake mix/butterscotch pudding and chip version of this cake that is delicious. The true secrets to this cake seem to be the beating - the cake batter should look like silk when it's poured out - and it must be made in a bundt pan. I've been successful with a lower fat version - to recreate this, substitute applesauce for the oil and use low fat sour cream and Egg Beaters.

I usually garnish this cake with a little powdered sugar, because it's really too sweet to need frosting, but friends have told me that they love topping this cake with chocolate ganache or even melted chocolate frosting.

©iStockphoto.com/ monkeybusinessimages

by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on May. 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Thanks sound like something my family would like
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on May. 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM
This sounds like heaven in a cake!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flutter523
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Can't wait to try this. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM
tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on May. 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Great idea

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on May. 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM

TFS

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:33 AM

This sounds really yummy! I just made cupcakes the other day with a dark chocolate cake mix, 2 cups of pumpkin and 1 cup of mini semisweet chocolate chips that turned out super yummy (so moist). I topped them with peanut butter frosting and put them in the freezer for when these cake cravings come up.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

mamivon2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Thank you sounds good:)

Bob192
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

YUM!!

mmtosam06
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Yum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN