Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Help with cooking on a budget

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm Amy =] I'm currently pregnant with my first baby and since I became pregnant I've been more concerned about my eating habits. I started cooking more and I've been having some trouble planning out meals and knowing how to shop for them. I basically just find recipes that I think sound good and try to get all the ingredients for like two weeks. I don't really think it worked that well, but decently. I'm on a pretty tight budget because I don't have much money to begin with and I mainly use food stamps to purchase my groceries. Also, I rely on public transportation to make it to the grocery store which also costs money so I don't like making weekly grocery trips if I can avoid it, especially since I'll be having a baby soon. So does anyone have advice for me about grocery shopping and meal planning (for my boyfriend and I).

BabyFruit Ticker

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on May. 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

We eat lots of pasta, I keep ground turkey in the freezer at all times and also ground beef most of the time.  Chicken is usually reasonable and I do like the others and break down my packages.

pampire
by on May. 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Buy dried beans instead of canned.  They're better for you and easier to carry home on the bus.  Don't buy canned soup, make soup from scratch.  If you buy bone-in meats, save the bones and your veggie scraps in the freezer until you have a bunch, then cover them with water and simmer for a few hours and you'll have great stock for soups.  Skip the rice/pasta mixes and make your own.

There are a lot of good websites and books out there on frugal living.  Scope 'em out.  The best frugal mama tip, is get your baby/toddler clothes at the second hand store.  They grow thru that stuff so quickly that it's crazy to spend money on new.  You can get stuff with tags still on at the thrift store.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on May. 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM
I forgot to say, don't waste leftovers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on May. 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Will someone already said what i was going to so good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on May. 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Quoting eustacejessica:

Always plan a menu according to what is on sale and buy a little extra so you can you can freeze a little and start stocking up. Whole chickens are great, they are cheap and you can get a good 2-3 meals out of them. Coupons!

Great idea

rockinmomnwife
by New Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I always meal plan. Here is the steps I take.

1. I look at what I have on hand.
2. I look at the sales ad.
3. I look at what I have coupons for.

I plan around those. If we are on a tight budget are cheap meals usually include:

Spaghetti, Rice with ground beef and brown gravy and macaroni and cheese with taco seasoning and ground beef. Also if you buy fettucinne noodles and alfredo sauce in the can and that is cheap!
Another recipe I make a lot that is so yummy is here: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/chicken-in-creamy-pan-107335.aspx
It only requires chicken breast, flour, half of a bar of cream cheese and 3/4 cup chicken broth.

rockinmomnwife
by New Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Yes, if you have any leftover meat try and find a recipe on the internet using the leftovers.
For instance I made some crockpot chicken tacos (chicken breast,  small jar of salsa and 1 packet of taco seasoning all in slow cooker on low for 6 hours and then your shred when done). Anyway, had some leftovers and I froze them to make chicken tortilla soup.
Just google if you need some ideas but I don't like waste!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

I forgot to say, don't waste leftovers

jaydensmomma707
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM

try going meatless a couple of days a week that can really help with the cost!

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Eggs, cheese, beans, peanut butter, fresh veggies and fruits. Soups-

crazymomof4787
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I meal plan and use what I have on hand. 

Here are 2 websites I use alot for recipes.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/

http://www.allrecipes.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN