Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Learning Lessons and Making Memories

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 78 Replies
3 moms liked this

It's fun to take little kids in the kitchen. Almost anything you make is amazing! to them, and they love to be with you. Even washing dishes is exciting to a little one, and the added benefit of being able to brag that they helped with dinner - well, it's easy to have fun with little ones.

You are a hero - the Goddess of the Kitchen. It's a very exhilarating feeling.

It's a bit more tricky with the teens and preteens.That's not to say, though, that you shouldn't do it. I'd argue that the older kids need the kitchen time with a parent even more than the toddlers.

After all, those teens can be prickly and obnoxious at times, and it can be a challenge to enjoy being with them - but those troubling times are the definite sign that you should spend more time with your teen. Especially if you've got a sensitive issue to talk with them about, or things are tense between the two of you, a cooking date can go a long way towards smoothing out those tough times.

Spend time in the kitchen with your kid and, while the measuring and stirring is going on, something else will happen - suddenly, you'll hear about her day. There probably won't be eye contact, and you most certainly shouldn't ask questions - but the talking begins almost unconsciously and it can be a fantastic relationship builder. When one of my own children is obviously upset but not forthcoming, I invite her into the kitchen and hand her a measuring cup and some flour. It's almost foolproof - soon the conversation begins.

It's also a necessary lesson plan for those teenagers, as they will soon be moving on from your kitchen to (hopefully) their own. Do your kid a favor - teach him how to make a few basic staples - and cereal doesn't count. Cover how to bake a chicken, easy muffins and breads, the necessity of salad and how yummy it is to eat vegetables. Teach your daughter to make bread and help your boys learn the joys of warm chocolate chip cookies. If your teen is resistant, tell him that many a date has started in the kitchen, and remind him how surprised a future spouse might be that he can do more in the kitchen than pour a beverage.

It's an extra bonus that these activities can create some of your most cherished memories.

Did your parents teach you to cook? What do you think everyone should know how to make before they move out?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ jabejon

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

My grandma is the one that taught me most of what I know of cooking. I think a person should know how to cook basic stuff and to read a recipie before they leave home

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents did not. My husband did! I taught my boys now grown to cook lots of things, and the 12 year old girl can cook several dinner on her own. I think they should know enough so that they don't have to resort to fast food for their meals.

johnny4ever
3 weeks till school starts!
Yesterday at 7:22 AM
by Tracy on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Nope...

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Oh gosh, I do not know how to cook. That was something I wish I was taught.

flutter523
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM
I was taught basics. I wish I was. A better cook and not so picky. I did know how to make Mac and cheese by age7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovesFredric
by Amanda on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Lol, I agree - my dh is a heck of a cook - and we didn't really cook much at home.

Quoting SweetLuci:

My parents did not. My husband did! I taught my boys now grown to cook lots of things, and the 12 year old girl can cook several dinner on her own. I think they should know enough so that they don't have to resort to fast food for their meals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DaisyMaeBunny
by Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

In my family growing up, if you wanted to learn, you got in the kitchen, watched asked questions and cooked. So at age 3, I would stand on a box at the kitchen table and roll tortillias, smear masa for tamales and what ever needed to be done, even the little things felt good. I can make a mean Turkey, gravy & stuffing, enchiladas etc, all because of my MAMA.

We homeschooled our youngest son (health issues), so part of his un-schooling was to learn to cook. We started out easy, pies, cakes and cookies. Kids need to know how to read and follow recipes. Moved on to breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now if I go into the hospital, I know he won't starve.

daerca574
by Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM

my mother never wanted us in the kitchen.  I learned to cook by myself.  would have been nice if I had known how to make a pie crust or cut up a whole chicken!!

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
no, my aunt never taught me to cook. Thats why im a "new cook".... Im still learning & i've been on my own almost 9years now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I learned by watching....I was never taught. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement