Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Grilling Challenge Day 6: Grill Maintenance

Posted by   + Show Post

How often do you clean your grill? To keep your grill in tip-top shape all season, remember to:

• Grease the grill with a little bit of cooking oil or spray before heating it up to help keep food from sticking.
  • Pre-heat your grill before you start cooking and brush the grates to remove any residue from the last time you used it.
  • When you're done cooking, brush the grates again to clean off any residue
  • Let the grill cool completely and then cover it.
  • Every 10th or so time you use the grill, remove the grills and grease drippings pan and clean all of them with hot water and dish detergent.

Do you do any of these? Do you clean your grill after every use?

Did you miss yesterday's challenge? Here it is! And don't forget to sign up for daily reminders here.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Replies (41-50):
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

yes, we heat it up and then scrape it. Dh also takes a wet rag and cleans off the grates.

tayanddyl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Sadly I don't grill. I have never used a grill on my own. I make BBQ in the oven :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I am not sure my husband takes care of all of that.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I clean the grate everytime.  I have no idea if dh cleans the body.

carolina_gal
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

We are lucky enough to keep our grill in the garage so it doesn't get hit by the weather too much.  DH maintains it and it has lasted us a long time. About 8 years now.

carolina_gal
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Same here.

Quoting Rushn311:

I don't deal with the grill, but hubby cleans it after each use, covers it once its cooled down, preheats it and brushes the grates...he doesn't clean anything tho.

funhappymom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I do all of it but the last one. I do need to do that. Another thing to add-clean off the burner deflectors too. They get so nasty and flair up way too much.

gacgbaker
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM

We do clean it after every use- sometimes it takes a bit, but it does get clean.  Unfortunately though, we are not the only ones to use it (husbands siblings) others come over, use it, and don't clean it out all the time- sometimes they do, but other times they just forget, I think.  

gacgbaker
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Quoting kmjmlj:

Yes we clean it after each use. We also keep it under a grill canopy.

That is one thing we don't do is keep it under a canopy- but it is a simple charcoal grill.  

gacgbaker
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting mom-1kids-3:

We pre-heat & clean the grill before each use. We also use a spray before putting the food on the grill.  

What type of spray do you use?  Does it help things not stick?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement