The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Baking Through the Generations

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

Can you remember how you first learned to cook? Did your mom teach you? Or was it your grandma? Maybe a beloved auntie showed you the fun of blending butter and sugar together to create a fluffy cookie base, or it was your grandpa and his love of fudge that spurred you into the kitchen.

Whatever the case, whatever the reason - you came into the kitchen to create yummy foods and you've shared that love with your children. Have you ever spent time in the kitchen with both your parents and your children? Trust me - that's an entirely different level of fun that you've never imagined. After all, for one of those people, you will never grow up - and for the other person, you will always be the one in charge. 

A good thing about cooking with your children and your parent is the opportunity to pass down tried and true family favorites. My own dad has done this with the afore mentioned fudge. I remember watching him make fudge when I was teeny tiny, and this past summer, he made fudge with my own kids. It made for a special memory, one that I will cherish my entire life.

My mom loves to make cookies with my young children, and I love that she does this. Even my grown up children will make their way into the kitchen when Nana appears with the cookie cutters, and it makes a very special memory that I can pull out when my kids are being, shall we say, less than enjoyable to be around. Watching a grown up boy crowd around the table, sorting cookie cutters with the Nana that he once idolized proves that there truly is love all around.

What kind of multi generational kitchen memories can you create?

ŠiStockphoto.com/jmalov

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM

we make a lot of cookies and cakes i hope... we my little one and i can come up with our own recipe to  pass it down 

i
know my grammar is poor and so is my spelling and sometimes my wording
is odd please understand i have severe dyslexia i do run spell check but
it dose not always fine all my mess up when i misuse a word pointing
out my  mess ups is fine with me and i will be more then happy to fix
them however rude comments will not get them fix thank you for
understand:)

daerca574
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I love it when my children help me prepare noodles.  I can remember doing it with my grandmother.  My mother never really let us help in the kitchen.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM

My mom baked brownies with my daughter and her friend yesterday!  They had a blast.  Wish someone had taken pictures!

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

We love to make cookies and cupcakes together.

othermom
by Danelle on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM
My grandma was the one we cooked with most. I remember helping her a lot in the kitchen, she was always willing to let us be a part of what she was making. I let my kids help me bake when they want to, sometimes when I ask them to. As they get biggerI will have them help more and more
ceciliam
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Making perogies:)

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM
My grandmother taught me everything I know. My mother can't cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM

My kids love to bake with me and my parents.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM

My mom did not really cook with us kids so I have made it a point to get my kids in the kitchen at an early age. 

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Thanks!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)