The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Easy Clean Up in the Kitchen

Posted by   + Show Post

We bake a lot of cookies in our house. The primary cookie is, of course, chocolate chip - and I make a really, really good one, full of lots of different types of chocolate and chunks of dark chocolate along with, oddly enough, sea salt. They are so, so good. I also make a cookie that features raisins soaked in rum, mixed with cranberries and walnuts - more of an adult flavor than for children. My oldest daughter loves the no bake peanut butter oatmeal cookies, and my youngest daughter loves it when I make chocolate cookies with chunked up peanut butter cups.

We eat a lot of cookies here.

One thing that I really, really hate about making cookies -  other than the fact that we go through them so quickly! - is the clean up involved. Using the mixer and measuring cups isn't so bad, as they can be popped into the dishwasher, but the baking stones that I bake on can't go into the dishwasher - which means that before I can enjoy those yummy cookies I have to clean up those pans. If I don't, and I leave them for the next day, the cookie reside becomes like cement.

What's a girl to do? Parchment paper to the rescue!

I discovered, quite by accident, that if I line the baking sheets with a piece of parchment paper, that the cookies virtually slip off the pans and the clean up is minimal. As in, none. Simply allow the cookies to cool and slip them off, and then toss the paper.

It takes the hardest part of baking cookies out the equation. And makes the best part even easier - the EATING part.

©iStockphoto.com/ulga

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
LovesFredric
by Amanda on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
awesome, thank you!

Quoting sav820:

Parchment paper can also be used for baked lasagna and other casseroles. Also in Cake pans & pie plates cut to fit...They work wonders in Cheese cakes too.  I finally purchased silicon mats for baking cookies and they are GREAT for peanut brittle and candies too, I also use the mats to make chocolate designs with decorating tips,( for cupcake tops, tarts & cakes) and I Love them. They sell the mats 2 for 15.00 and last for many years.

Another hint...After cleaning all your faucets---USE WAX paper to buff them NO water, or scum will stay on them...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowrsgalore
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

parchment paper is great stuff.  At first it seems like an extra step, but really it is much quicker b/c the pans clean up so quick.  I don't like the annoying curl up it does but it's minor. 

flowrsgalore
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

hmmm this doesn't sound like a good idea.  Newspaper ink & who knows what it's touched before you use it.

Quoting flowersmama:

i will use old news papers they are cheaper than wax paper

flowersmama
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

prolly, but its never effected us in a bad way, nor do we use it as a plate. also we each will come down with a cold, or is it allergies, cant tell cause its not bad, once a year if that and we have not had any other illnesses as far back i as can remember.... also we dont go in for regular vacs.... so im not worried about it & highly suggest consuming germs!!!! to a point they are good for you! 

flowersmama
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

oh wait i thought we were lining counters, not pans... no i do not cook on news paper, just prep

ethans_momma06
by Queen of Awesomeness on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I think I'm going to see if the dollar store has some...

TigerofMu
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Oh I love parchment paper.  It has been my salvation many times.  I even have tried to use it in cake pans, though it doesn't fold well unless you slit the sides.  Even have a sheet across the bottom of the cake pan helps your cakes come out without missing chunks!

ablessedlife
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I've done this for a while. I learned it when I worked in catering. Here's another tip: Don't throw away the paper! Re-use it! It gets a little browner with each use, but you can re-use it many times!
sylviamaxine
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Also one more plus to parchment paper - if one burns the bottom of the cookies ( it will never happen again I promise )  There is not a black baked on circle mark on your baking pans.

ablessedlife
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Quoting sylviamaxine:

Also one more plus to parchment paper - if one burns the bottom of the cookies ( it will never happen again I promise )  There is not a black baked on circle mark on your baking pans.

Yes and the bottom of the cookies don't burn so easily. I've seen the evidence when I placed a cookie half on the paper and half off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)