Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

cheap easy meals for a crowd challenge...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm pregnant and in pre-term labor. Because of this when SO is helping our friend work we all go over there for the day,usually 4 days a week or more. I feel bad about being there all day and eating their food so I would like to bring the stuff to make a meal for everyone to enjoy and cook it over there.

The problem is we're on a budget and that's a lot of people to feed.  I need something to feed 7-10 adults (depending on who all is there), and 5 kids under 5. It also needs to be like large servings because they eat a lot over there. I'm allergic to seafood and SO is allergic to coconut. 

Remember the ingredients need to be easily transported from my house to theirs, it needs to be budget friendly, and it needs to feed A LOT of people easily.So this is your challenge...help me come up with something!

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
ripemango
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM

charlene kyle has this post covered. seriously, our minds are on the same page here!

I would add sloppy joes (made in crock pot or on the stove) with homemade fries (much cheaper than pre packaged) and a chicken brocolli cheesy casserole.

Along the same line as enchilada casserole, you can make a big ole casserole dish of just regular chicken enchiladas too and serve it with rice and beans.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

ripemango
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I forgot about a potato casserole. great idea!

I've made a big ole batch of scalloped potatoes and included tiny little pieces of ham or cooked and crumbled ground beef. We prefer it with ground beef, but many people like it with ham. Serve this with an easy green side like salad, brocolli, green beans, or collards and it's a fairly cheap meal.

Quoting LovesFredric:

some kind of potato casserole.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

GingerNeeSmith
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

meatloaf,mashed potatoes & a veggie. One of my meatloaf secrets is all kinds of chips. you know how at the bottom of the bag you get broken tiny bits of chips? well when the bag gets like that we pour them into on bag & when i have enough we have meatloaf. I have used 1lb of ground beef stretch enough in meatloaf that I have feed 5 adults & 3 kids with it. so a couple more lbs of it & you could feed a lot of folks.

I'm a pasta lover so anything with pasta I'm good with...spaghetti,lasagna,beef mac casserole,tater tot casserole wait that last one isn't pasta,but it's good & it will stretch far.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Chili Mac

Buy 6 cans of chili beans
A couple of pounds of ground meat
A package of chili mix
Chopped onion and garlic
A couple of pounds of elbow noodles

Keep the noodles separate until ready to serve. Mix it all together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamiegraham
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Baked Spagetti

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Baked beans over rice always goes a long way for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I think most pasta dishes are a good fix, and sandwhiches are easy, cheap, and easily transportable.

othermom
by Danelle on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Baked beans over rice always goes a long way for us.

I love doing that

Jenny7800
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Pulled pork with mac and cheese.  Both dishes can be made in bulk and for the little ones you can always make some chicken cutlets/ nuggets for them.  Pulled pork is always my favorite when I need to feed a lot of people.  I ALWAYS have so much left over.  Mac n Cheese is SIMPLE especially when done homemade.  Boxes of noodles are pretty inexpensive.  And chicken cutlets for the little ones tend to be very simple as well.  You can put the pulled pork in a crock pot over night and transport is made easy, cutlets can be made ahead of time and popped into the oven for the last hour.  

crazymomof4787
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

We do chili, beef barbecue in the crockpot easy to transport.  Lasagna with cottage cheese instead of riccota much cheaper that way.   Bake Ziti, bake spaghetti, mac and cheese.   Take a great big green salad with homemade dressing to add to a meal.  Take a watermelon to cup up to add to a meal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN