Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

How do you call your family to dinner?

Do you stick your head out the front door and yell like my mom did in the 70's?

Do you give them a specific time to show up?

Do they come and go as they please and take whatever is on the warmer?

How about the old-fashioned dinner bell?  Does anyone own one?

Maybe you text or call them on their cell?

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (11-17):
ethans_momma06
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I say 'Dinners ready, get up to the table~'

flutter523
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Same here

Quoting lillucky8:

Its usually dh, dd and i all home already when im making it, so i just call them to the table.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovesFredric
by Amanda on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Usually my family is in the house, so I just call out to them. if my ds is at the neighbor's, I will call her cell or walk over and get him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almostthere55
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

When they were little they were always underfoot.  When they were in middle school, I just yelled "SUPPER!" and they came from outside or their rooms (we don't live around kids their ages).  Now that they are older, I just pray they come to the table.  LOL  Usually it's a mass text to everyone.  I'll say, "hey, supper is at 5:30, we are having chicken, potatoes and salad".  Sometimes I will do this in the middle of the day when I might be thinking of what I'm going to make. 

This brought back some fond memories of my childhood.  I lived in that neighborhood that all the moms yelled out the front door at their kids for supper.  And yes, it was the 70's....

Ametrine
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting almostthere55:

When they were little they were always underfoot.  When they were in middle school, I just yelled "SUPPER!" and they came from outside or their rooms (we don't live around kids their ages).  Now that they are older, I just pray they come to the table.  LOL  Usually it's a mass text to everyone.  I'll say, "hey, supper is at 5:30, we are having chicken, potatoes and salad".  Sometimes I will do this in the middle of the day when I might be thinking of what I'm going to make. 

This brought back some fond memories of my childhood.  I lived in that neighborhood that all the moms yelled out the front door at their kids for supper.  And yes, it was the 70's....

It's a sweet memory, isn't it?

One kid down the street had his dad whistle for him.  I remember he was from Walla Walla, Washington.  (LoL...such a far-off place to me then.)

Another kid's dad stood out on the driveway and yelled for him and his bro.  Not many dads yelled for kids then.

I remember hearing the different parent calls to dinner (supper) and turning to said-kid and saying, "I think your mom/dad is calling you!"

The good 'ol days.

almostthere55
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Quoting Ametrine:

Quoting almostthere55:

It's a sweet memory, isn't it?

One kid down the street had his dad whistle for him.  I remember he was from Walla Walla, Washington.  (LoL...such a far-off place to me then.)

Another kid's dad stood out on the driveway and yelled for him and his bro.  Not many dads yelled for kids then.

I remember hearing the different parent calls to dinner (supper) and turning to said-kid and saying, "I think your mom/dad is calling you!"

The good 'ol days.

Yes sweet memories.  Nowdays, we don't live close enough to even walk to neighbors.  At least here.  Most of the newer subdivisions have bylaws that your lot has to be a certain size (mostly an acre), it makes "yelling" a bit difficult. 

My home place was a new subdivision at the time.  But lots were much smaller, as were the houses.  Ahhh...the 70's.

thehickinhickor
by Jessie on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

if it is just my SO and i nothing dinner is done when he gets home and on the weekend he cooks most of the time ...but when my kid is here i am always late getting dinner done lol so the kid goes to get him she yells threw the house dinner ready chris come and get it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN