Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Pouches are Not Just for Kangaroos

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

Laugh all you want, but that's a true statement. When people say the word "pouch", the kangaroo is often the first thing that springs to mind - but pouches have a fantastic role in the kitchen for cooking. They help foods to retain moisture, seal in flavor and seasonings and, above all, make kitchen clean up fantastically easy. 

Reynolds® Parchment Paper isn't just for desserts. You can also cook chicken, fish or vegetables in parchment by folding the parchment into a packet. This method, also referred to as cooking "en papillote", is a healthy way to make delicious moist food with almost no clean up necessary. It's a non stick method of cooking that requires no grease or fat, so it is beneficial to those who are struggling with eating in a more healthy manner. The fish steams inside the paper, cooking in it's own juices and comes out flaky and delicious. As an additional bonus, it's very difficult to overcook fish in this manner.

There are many different recipes out there that you can use to prepare your fish, but they almost all contain a citrus component as well as herbs. Simply choose your type of fish and lay it in the middle of the parchment paper. Add your seasonings (some popular choices include garlic, lemon slices, scallions, herbs such as basil or cilantro, or even thinly sliced vegetables. Drizzle with a bit of olive or sesame oil. Fold up the packet and seal the edges by crimping, and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes per inch thickness. When the fish is flaky and tender, it's done - so simply pour out onto your plate, topping with any additional juices that remain in the packet - and enjoy!

Have you ever cooked fish in parchment paper? What are your favorite combinations of fish and seasonings?

©iStockphoto.com/sugar0607

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM
never even thought of cooking a fish like that you...lemon pepper is my fav
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Never have, cooking fish makes me nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:00 AM
No but I'd like to try!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Yep, at work. With salmon, lemon, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus and a little butter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM

No I havent

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Great info, thanks!  I never know how to cook fish so this is wonderful.  I have never used parchment paper while cookins so I will have to try it. 

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
I haven't! I would like to try it now though! Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Never cooked fish in parchment paper, my dh is the main cook so I'm not sure what spices if any he's used. My coat our fish in a crumb mixture and deep fry it.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I have cooked in parchment paper and i works great!

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

No because my dh is really picky about fish, but that is something to keep in mind if I do ever prepare fish again, thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN