Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Ways to sneak veggies in on a picky 2 year old...HELP!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am at wits end with DD and her pickiness!

I cook well-balanced meals every night. We occasionally have pizza or burgers, but mainly we have a meat with 2 veggies and 1 starch of some sort.

As an infant she ate pureed veggies really well. When she started eating whole foods she would eat peas, carrots, and green beans. She loved them!

At around 18 months she decided that she didn't like any veggies. I can't even get her to eat corn. Now she is 28 months and after months and months of being patient I have had enough!

I do not cook anything special for her for any reason. She eats what is put in front of her or she doesn't eat at all. This is what I've read about and been told to keep doing. She always eats around the veggies. People tell me she will grow out of it. I just feel like she is not getting adequate nutrition. Nor is she learning good eating habits.

She loves spaghetti. I squeeze as many veggies I can into that and we eat that once a week. That has been my only success with this. I have tried mincing carrots or green beans and putting them in her rice for other meals. (She loves rice.) She actually spits each piece out as she is chewing---either that or she will see them and refuse to eat them,

What are some ways that you have succeeded getting some veggies by a picky toddler's taste buds?

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I bake using vegetables like zucchini bread, carrot cake, corn fritters with alittle powdered sugar on top  it may help some in spaghetti sauce, chili, sloppy  joes we add roasted red peppers ... 

elasmimi
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I do these, and the zucchini bread id a big hit!

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I bake using vegetables like zucchini bread, carrot cake, corn fritters with alittle powdered sugar on top  it may help some in spaghetti sauce, chili, sloppy  joes we add roasted red peppers ... 

othermom
by Danelle on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Maybe try veggies with dip. My 2 year old will eat carrots and peas from the garden and still my carrots that I am eating.  We have had to start making my daughter take a few bites of her veggies at each meal since she would refuse. We feed her a few bites of them. I have gone through stages like this with all three kids. Maybe try celery with peanut butter, my girls love that. Corn on the cob is another good one. Maybe have her pick out a veggie at the store or farmers market to try. I have mixed left over jars of baby food in to spagehti sauce before.

starreyedcutie
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Veggis with dip? Add extra veggis in sauces? Put mustard on green beans, make homemade burgers with veggis mixed in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by Jessie on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

not sure i got lucky tho she will not eat peas to save her life 

Mrs_Incredible
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't sneak in foods and we don't cook any separate meals. The rule is each kid must take at least one bite of everything on their plate (and they will sit at the table until bedtime to do it). We started this at two. There have been several nights to bed without finishing a plate. We went through about 2 months of skipping 1-2 dinners a week (but they still had plenty to eat during the day and were far from hungry) and now we have minimal issues with food. Best of luck. If you're determined to "sneak in" foods, Jessica Seinfeld's book is supposedly a great solution, but I don't believe in deceiving my kids when it comes to their food. They should know what's in it and make the right choices (we have food allergies in our family, so they need to know that it's okay to know exactly what's in food). Might not work for everyone, but works for us :)

salamandersmom
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you're doing a smart thing by not cooking special meals for her...  I once knew a lady who cooked four complete meals every single time it was time to eat.  Her husband only liked breakfast things.  Her son would only eat mac and cheese and hot dogs.  Her daughter wanted something else.  At the end of the evening, she moaned,  she was so tired she could only open a can of soup for herself.  How dumb is that?  Everyone eats what comes to the table.  Two choices:  Eat it, or don't.  If you don't, no food until the next meal.  So how did I get my kids to eat veggies?  Most times they  were not a problem...  But You'll laugh... lies, lies, lies.  You might try telling her that Broccoli is little trees.  My kids thought it was wonderful to eat the little trees.  My oldest son would not eat scalloped potatoes.  One night he asked what was for dinner.  I told him, and then told him that the scalloped potatoes were his favorite thing ever.  And suddenly, he was eating it.  I just don't understand how that worked, but I should have done so earlier.  you might try sweeting the carrots with a little brown sugar.  As she gets used to eating those, you can taper back the sugar until it's not there anymore. 

ethans_momma06
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Grate or food process veggies to mix in with sauces, etc. It's sneaky, but they hardly notice. Also, try not making a big deal out of her NOT eating them. Sometimes, the attention is a win for them.

Personally, I never succeeded with the dip thing. Mine always sucked the dip off and left the veggie intact. Anyway, GL!

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

This may sound weird, but I got this idea from another mom on here. When I bake a cake from the box mix, I put 2 cups of canned or pureed pumpkin in it instead of the other ingredients that the box calls for, mix it up, then bake it like normal. This works really well with chocolate cake because you can't taste the pumpkin or you can put it in carrot cake if she likes that. I did this for my son's birthday party at the end of June and everyone loved it, it was really moist and everything. You probably won't do this every day, just throwing another idea out there for you.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We do that too. They MUST eat at least one bite or they are not allowed to leave the table.

Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

We don't sneak in foods and we don't cook any separate meals. The rule is each kid must take at least one bite of everything on their plate (and they will sit at the table until bedtime to do it). We started this at two. There have been several nights to bed without finishing a plate. We went through about 2 months of skipping 1-2 dinners a week (but they still had plenty to eat during the day and were far from hungry) and now we have minimal issues with food. Best of luck. If you're determined to "sneak in" foods, Jessica Seinfeld's book is supposedly a great solution, but I don't believe in deceiving my kids when it comes to their food. They should know what's in it and make the right choices (we have food allergies in our family, so they need to know that it's okay to know exactly what's in food). Might not work for everyone, but works for us :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement