The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Ways to sneak veggies in on a picky 2 year old...HELP!

I am at wits end with DD and her pickiness!

I cook well-balanced meals every night. We occasionally have pizza or burgers, but mainly we have a meat with 2 veggies and 1 starch of some sort.

As an infant she ate pureed veggies really well. When she started eating whole foods she would eat peas, carrots, and green beans. She loved them!

At around 18 months she decided that she didn't like any veggies. I can't even get her to eat corn. Now she is 28 months and after months and months of being patient I have had enough!

I do not cook anything special for her for any reason. She eats what is put in front of her or she doesn't eat at all. This is what I've read about and been told to keep doing. She always eats around the veggies. People tell me she will grow out of it. I just feel like she is not getting adequate nutrition. Nor is she learning good eating habits.

She loves spaghetti. I squeeze as many veggies I can into that and we eat that once a week. That has been my only success with this. I have tried mincing carrots or green beans and putting them in her rice for other meals. (She loves rice.) She actually spits each piece out as she is chewing---either that or she will see them and refuse to eat them,

What are some ways that you have succeeded getting some veggies by a picky toddler's taste buds?

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Replies (11-13):
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Great idea Sue!!! I will have to try that.

Quoting dusky_rose:

This may sound weird, but I got this idea from another mom on here. When I bake a cake from the box mix, I put 2 cups of canned or pureed pumpkin in it instead of the other ingredients that the box calls for, mix it up, then bake it like normal. This works really well with chocolate cake because you can't taste the pumpkin or you can put it in carrot cake if she likes that. I did this for my son's birthday party at the end of June and everyone loved it, it was really moist and everything. You probably won't do this every day, just throwing another idea out there for you.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

LOL I think it's Carolyn's idea if I'm not mistaken, but thanks.

Quoting charlene_kyle:

Great idea Sue!!! I will have to try that.

Quoting dusky_rose:

This may sound weird, but I got this idea from another mom on here. When I bake a cake from the box mix, I put 2 cups of canned or pureed pumpkin in it instead of the other ingredients that the box calls for, mix it up, then bake it like normal. This works really well with chocolate cake because you can't taste the pumpkin or you can put it in carrot cake if she likes that. I did this for my son's birthday party at the end of June and everyone loved it, it was really moist and everything. You probably won't do this every day, just throwing another idea out there for you.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

flutter523
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I make smoothies often and toss spinach or kale into them. I call it bug juice or shrek juice. He loves them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)