Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Ask the Expert: Back to School Meals

Posted by   + Show Post

CafeMom is excited to welcome Debbie Koenig to Inside the Kitchen! She's here to answer your questions about easy dinners and lunches for the upcoming school year. 

Debbie Koenig is an award-winning food, diet, and parenting writer, and the author of the cookbook Parents Need to Eat Too: Nap-Friendly Recipes, One-Handed Meals & Time-Saving Kitchen Tricks for New Parents (William Morrow, 2012). Her blog, focused on family-friendly cooking, is also called Parents Need to Eat Too. Koenig lives in Brooklyn with her omnivorous husband and their stubbornly non-nivorous six-year-old son.

One mom who asks a question will be entered to win a copy of Debbie's book, Parents Need to Eat Too! Debbie will be answering questions until August 10th. 

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask the Expert: Back to School Meals giveaway starts 7/30/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 8/10/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to each receive a copy of Parents Need to Eat Too.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 8/12/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Replies (101-110):
lapalmamama
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Do you have a suggestion for any meal ofr a child that doesn't like any sauce?

lapalmamama
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM

My daughter asks for extras on the goodies - so she can share with friends - and she does share it- should I send the extras?

lapalmamama
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Are there aother veggies similar to cucumbers to try?  My sone loves cukes!

crazy2day
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

How do I pre make fresh meals faster?

klav
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

would love to see something for the child with a nut and peanut allergy!

klav
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

how to add veggies to there meals when there are times they don't want any?

klav
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

need some new alternatives to the same old ham and cheese or soynut butter sandwich(he can not have tree nuts or peanut). for my son i try to make his lunches  interesting and have sent him with a thremos of chef boyrde but need some thing new !! I feel burned out half way thru the year about what to give him. I have even at times asked him what he wants and to help make it as well.

thanks!

lyrick24
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Quoting DebbieKoenig:

Quoting lyrick24:

do packed lunches have the same nurtritional value that hot school lunches provide?

I think that depends entirely on a) your school and b) the lunch you'd pack! The government has some strict guidelines, but boy is it easy to meet those guidelines while still serving not-so-good-for-you food. Some schools are doing a terrific job, cooking more from scratch and making their healthy-food offerings look *and* taste good. But others, eh, not so much. 

On the other hand, if you're packing the lunch you're in control! Well, as much as you can count on your kid to eat what you pack...

this reminds me of my elem. school years. we went to a little school in the country and all the food was fro scratch. i loved the pizza!

jacksmommy2010
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I have such an issue trying to figure out what to do for meals. Then I just end up making something that's frozen. Please help me with ideas that would be better meals for my two year old son!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MTrammellRN
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM

My oldest is starting Kindergarten she is a picky eater so I'll need all the ideas I can get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN