Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Ask the Expert: Back to School Meals

Posted by   + Show Post

CafeMom is excited to welcome Debbie Koenig to Inside the Kitchen! She's here to answer your questions about easy dinners and lunches for the upcoming school year. 

Debbie Koenig is an award-winning food, diet, and parenting writer, and the author of the cookbook Parents Need to Eat Too: Nap-Friendly Recipes, One-Handed Meals & Time-Saving Kitchen Tricks for New Parents (William Morrow, 2012). Her blog, focused on family-friendly cooking, is also called Parents Need to Eat Too. Koenig lives in Brooklyn with her omnivorous husband and their stubbornly non-nivorous six-year-old son.

One mom who asks a question will be entered to win a copy of Debbie's book, Parents Need to Eat Too! Debbie will be answering questions until August 10th. 

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask the Expert: Back to School Meals giveaway starts 7/30/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 8/10/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to each receive a copy of Parents Need to Eat Too.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 8/12/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
Willow.wind
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM
The only sandwich my 7 yo will eat is Pb&j.... So after months of thinking what else I can offer! I bought her a small food thermos, it's awesome I nuke dinner leftovers in am & she is all over that spaghetti , chicken n rice..... A real break thru in r lunch sit. It also is very cost effective she only needs 1 cup of leftover an apple & granola bar...
things4us5
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Our oldest will be starting school this fall, we also have a 3yr old, a 2yr old, and a week after school starts will have a newborn also. I'm on bedrest until the end of my pregnancy....how in the world can I make the changes of rutine easyer on ALL my children? I'm a SAHM and they are used to having 3 homecooked meals a day...

LovesFredric
by Amanda on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Do you meal plan? If so, how would you recommend getting started & what are some best practices. The whole thing seems so intimidating to me, but I would like to be better organized in this area!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I have a house full of very picky eaters - and we are all picky in different ways. What are some healthy meals that would work for picky families?

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

what are some recipes for super picky kids.. for school lunches.

mischievous
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Hi Debbie, my name is Cynthia. We happen to live in the desert and it get super hot out here towards the summer days. What ideas do you have for summer lunches as far as keeping the kids hydrated and keeping the food super nutritious and tasty for them? Also, do you have any ideas for kids with diabetes?
jbyrd898
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:42 AM

What are some quick vegetarian meals?

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

barbecuing

spitfire06
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

=]

serendipitykdk
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I second the bento question and am wondering if you have any ideas/suggestions (always looking for something different)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement