Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Ask the Expert: Back to School Meals

Posted by   + Show Post

CafeMom is excited to welcome Debbie Koenig to Inside the Kitchen! She's here to answer your questions about easy dinners and lunches for the upcoming school year. 

Debbie Koenig is an award-winning food, diet, and parenting writer, and the author of the cookbook Parents Need to Eat Too: Nap-Friendly Recipes, One-Handed Meals & Time-Saving Kitchen Tricks for New Parents (William Morrow, 2012). Her blog, focused on family-friendly cooking, is also called Parents Need to Eat Too. Koenig lives in Brooklyn with her omnivorous husband and their stubbornly non-nivorous six-year-old son.

One mom who asks a question will be entered to win a copy of Debbie's book, Parents Need to Eat Too! Debbie will be answering questions until August 10th. 

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask the Expert: Back to School Meals giveaway starts 7/30/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 8/10/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to each receive a copy of Parents Need to Eat Too.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 8/12/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
Babujai
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I try to do second-chance meals (bake a whole chicken, eat pieces that night, use leftovers for soup another night and chicken salad for a lunch).  Do you have more of those kinds of ideas.  Honestly I haven't gotten beyond the chicken and occasionally pork roast (slices for dinner, cubed and sauced for burrittos another night).

ZoobileeXu
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Do you have any suggestions for tasty vegan meals?

lyrick24
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

do packed lunches have the same nurtritional value that hot school lunches provide?

love_my_family
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Is it possible to provide three growing children school lunches for under $6 per day if I pack them?

elephantmamaof2
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Awesome! I'd love to read this book, pb&j gets boring!
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

what a great book!~

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Bump!

LOVINMY3247
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO GET THIS BOOK SINCE THE KIDS ARE BECOMING YOUNG ADULTS AND WE HAVE LESS TIME NOW THEN WHEN THEY WERE SMALL I WANNA WIN!!!!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there I am not Debbie but I do similar to what you do , whole chicken it some for dinner then leftovers can be chicken tacos, chicken chili, chicken salad, chicken and dumplings, Ground beef can be tacos, spaghetti, meatballs, Salisbury steaks, sweet and sour meatballs , hamburgers, meatloaf , Turkey can be substituted for ground beef. We like our pork roast then leftovers made into Cuban sandwiches .Just some ideas I have .

Quoting Babujai:

I try to do second-chance meals (bake a whole chicken, eat pieces that night, use leftovers for soup another night and chicken salad for a lunch).  Do you have more of those kinds of ideas.  Honestly I haven't gotten beyond the chicken and occasionally pork roast (slices for dinner, cubed and sauced for burrittos another night).

0Kit0
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Please tell me you have sandwich-less lunches

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement