Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Crock Pots are Summertime Hits

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 60 Replies
2 moms liked this

There's one thing that's great about summer. It's warm. It's almost too warm some days, and the last thing that you might want to think about is working in the kitchen. The stove puts off heat, the oven is even worse, and although grilling is a popular summertime option - you can be very warm standing over the grill as well.

If you are anything like me, you are tempted to just call off cooking for the summer and live off of cheese cubes, whole wheat crackers and a fruit tray. This isn't a bad option at all, but ti's probably not one that your family will approve of more than once or twice a week. Especially if you have big eaters in your house, and if some of those big eaters happen to be of the male variety that believe that every meal must include some meat - you may find yourself longing for the weather to cool off.

This is when it's a very good idea to have a crock pot.

This winter time kitchen staple has many, many uses for the summer time as well. This amazingly versatile piece of equipment can cook an entire meal slowly, over the course of a day, possibly while you are lazing poolside. Think about it - you could spend the entire day away from home, at the water park or beach, and arrive in time to open a crock pot full of deliciousness. If you have the forethought to pack the crock the night before (keeping in the refrigerator overnight!) and use a disposable crock pot liner in order to avoid cleanup - well, you will probably feel as if you've cheated. How could dinner be so delicious, so easy and clean up free?

Shhh. It'll be our secret. I'll never tell.

Want to feel like an even bigger rock star of a parent? Make a fondue in that lined crock pot - there's something magical to kids of all ages about fondue and many a wonderful family memory has been created dipping bread into cheesy sauce.

Even my grown up children come running when I say that fondue is on the menu.

It's a good night to feel like a great mom. Pull out your crock pot, slip in a liner, and get started!

ŠiStockphoto.com/robynmac

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I use my crock pot year-round.  I'd probably go crazy if I didn't have one!  Particularly for summer, though, they are awesome!  When it's nearly 110 outside, I just don't want to cook in a hot kitchen to get dinner on the table.

One recipe I can say I've never done in my crock, though, is fondue.  In fact, I don't think I've ever had it at all.  Perhaps I should find a recipe and try it out.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I really enjoy using my crockpot- nothing like the meal being ready when I walk in the door.

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
I love my crockpot! I use it year rounnd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

i love our crockpot but havent used it much this summer. may have to do this though!

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I have been using mine a lot more this summer.  I have found some great recipes for it.  Some I have tried already ans some I am still hoping to try soon!  I think my next try will be crockpot lasagna. 

ceciliam
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I love my crockpot! I haven't used it in awhile, though.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Yes they are I do not like to heat the house up on a hot day

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I need to use my crockpot more often!
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I use mine all the time.
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

We mostly use the crockpot during the summer months. Love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement