The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Vacations

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 19 Replies

When you go on vacation do you pack snacks and food with you, or buy everything on the road?

Last year when we went on vacation we packed some food, but ended up buying stuff most of the time and brought back most of what we bought. We are going on vacation next month and I am planning on bringing snacks and stuff again, plus a few extras since we are meeting a friend and her two kids. This time we figure we will actually eat the snacks and stuff too.  What tyoes of things do you bring?   So far I got crackers with cheese, little packs of cookies, granola bars, will bring some cereal, dried fruit for me, some peanuts, but could use other ideas

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eustacejessica
by Jess on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM

When we go on vacation I pack snack type foods for the trip there, back, and a couple things while we are there. I also bring bottled water.

For my 4 year I have one of those small tackle boxes.(like this one) and fill the compartments with little snacks like mini marshmallows, nuts, dried fruit, crackers. The possibilities are endless. I'll usually put some cheese in there because I can keep it cold in the cooler.

othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Quoting eustacejessica:

When we go on vacation I pack snack type foods for the trip there, back, and a couple things while we are there. I also bring bottled water.

For my 4 year I have one of those small tackle boxes.(like this one) and fill the compartments with little snacks like mini marshmallows, nuts, dried fruit, crackers. The possibilities are endless. I'll usually put some cheese in there because I can keep it cold in the cooler.

Great idea for the tackle box.  We will be bringing bottled water too

angie2568
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yes I bring 2 drink coolers (one I have is large I usually put sodas for me and the yoo hoo choc milk, roaring waters capri suns, bottled water) then I buy the white ones at gas station or walmart - I put fruit, more water, veggie/dip, pb & j sandwich and ham for bread in that for trip down there. Also I have large carry cooler that I use for dry snacks - cheerios, goldfish, graham crackers, pb sandwiches, bread.

*Then we have garbage bag in van for trash, lots of napkins etc...

Once I get there: I plan out each meal. Breakfast is the only time we go out to eat. So I get another loaf of bread, bananas, tomatoes, sandwich meat, meat (whatever all wants) one side of veggie. Sandwiches are usually lunchtime meals. Then I prepare supper while all rests. That way on the drive back I have nothing but snacks/drinks to bring back - learned this the hard way but spoiled food I had to bring back when we over bought.

Good Luck.

Ametrine
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM

What sort of things did you buy on the road last time?  If it was things from a convenience store, you can always go shopping there before you leave-then you'll have everything and not have to stop or find a store in a strange town.

We always take Trader Joe's Cereal Bars, homemade trail mix, cheese sticks, beef jerkey, juice boxes and sodas (for hubby and me), one bag of favorite chips/crackers for sharing.

othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Quoting Ametrine:

What sort of things did you buy on the road last time?  If it was things from a convenience store, you can always go shopping there before you leave-then you'll have everything and not have to stop or find a store in a strange town.

We always take Trader Joe's Cereal Bars, homemade trail mix, cheese sticks, beef jerkey, juice boxes and sodas (for hubby and me), one bag of favorite chips/crackers for sharing.

It was stuff at convience stores, mostly we stopped to buy drinks, then would end up buying snacks and stuff too. So this time we will try to avoid the convinence stores.

proudmommy690
Moving...Hate moving! But can't wait to!!
Yesterday at 3:26 PM
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
we've never been on vacation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
Moving...Hate moving! But can't wait to!!
Yesterday at 3:26 PM
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
that's a cool idea!

Quoting eustacejessica:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autiemama516
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

we are leaving for a beach vacation tomorrow. I have learned to limit drinks on the 5 hour trip down. They lead to a lot of unnecessary bathroom breaks. We bring our own lunchmeat in a cooler and all of our snacks like pretzels and chips. We also buy all of our paper products to bring as well. It costs about twice as much to buy things at the beach and with a little planning you can save major money.Our kids get their spending money from our leftover bottles and cans. We save them all year and have redeemed them yesterday for a total of 215.00 to split 3 ways!

snuggiewoogie
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

We are going on a weeks vacation to the beach at the end of next month. The day we leave we always pack lunches and snacks. When I get there I go to the Food Lion and pick up Breakfast and Lunch Stuff. I will buy snacks and goodies. For dinner we eat out and a couple a nights we will eat in and make something easy like spaghetti or hamburgers. I really could not eat every single meal out while I was away. So I think we have a good plan! lol...

eustacejessica
by Jess on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Quoting proudmommy690:

that's a cool idea!

Quoting eustacejessica:

Thank you! Jayla is always excited to see what is in her box when we have to travel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)