Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

I need ideas for easy meals for after work.....

I just recently went back to work after being a SAHM for 2 1/2 years... So I need some ideas to help make dinner time simpler.. The last thing I want to do is stay in the kitchen for 2 hours cooking after I've worked all day and havent got to spend any time with my DD. ( if you cant tell, im having a hard time not being with her all day lol)

Were a pretty open minded family when it comes to food, so any suggestions would be awesome! were not afriad to try anything atleast once :)

Thanks!!!

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I am a mother of 2 boys this 3 and 1 crockpot and this cookbook saved my sanity.

Godspitgrl
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Quoting flutter523:

Can I have some too??? Pretty please??

Quoting Godspitgrl:

I know several people that use their off day (even SAHM like when DH is going to be home to help) to cook all day to be able to freeze meals for later I can see about getting some menus and such for you if you would like

I was told a book called Dont Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer

Godspitgrl
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Quoting flutter523:

Can I have some too??? Pretty please??

Quoting Godspitgrl:

I know several people that use their off day (even SAHM like when DH is going to be home to help) to cook all day to be able to freeze meals for later I can see about getting some menus and such for you if you would like

this is the website one of them gave me

onceamonthmom.com

thehickinhickor
by Jessie on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM

do you have the time on the weekend too cook ? if so you could take a day to cook meals the kid could help before you know it you have a week of homemade meals put away and all you have to do when you get off work is put them in the oven 

mk08
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Thanks, I'll have to check it out :)

Quoting Godspitgrl:

Quoting mk08:

That would be awesome!!!!! I work monday-friday, but def wouldnt mind taking a sat or sun to do some cooking :)

Quoting Godspitgrl:

this is the website one of them gave me

onceamonthmom.com

mk08
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:49 AM

we LOVE breakfast for dinner!!! that's always been a fav of mine since i was a kid! Thanks for the ideas!!!!

Quoting Brenda476:

I do breakfast for dinner once a week since it is quick, easy, and one of the few ways my youngest eats protein. I try to have vacuum-sealed bags of cooked taco meat, sloppy joes, meatballs, and Mexican chicken filling (for quesadillas, taco, or served with rice) in the freezer at all times. if you have a bread machine, you can have homemade pizza dough waiting for you or make it the night before & put in fridge. Pizza hoagies are great if you don't want to make dough. All of those meals are ready in 15-30 min if you pull out of the freezer in the evening or a.m.

elijahsmama09
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I would do a combo of freezer meals and crockpot meals. Just make sure to menu plan for the week or however long between pay periods, and cook/plan enough for that time. Throwing in a few stand-bys for nights when you forget or something goes wrong too.

mk08
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Thank you Ladies for all the ideas so far!!!! Making a list now of everything to get and make this weekend! I'll have to post how it worked out!!!! Keep the ideas coming if you would like thou :)

othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Another we like is breakfast for dinner and burritos

salamandersmom
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Yes, crock pots are wonderful.  You can put stuff in them, and then set them on low heat and leave for the day.  Things like rice and pasta can be added right at the end, like about 30 to 45 minutes before serving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement