Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Grilled Flat Bread Pizza - Bacon Lovers Delight

Posted by   + Show Post

I recently had some of the best pizza I've ever tasted while in New York. I don't think it could ever be replicated at home but I've definitely tried to get those flavor combinations together again. What I had was a pesto bacon concoction that rivaled any other pie I've had before.

Last night I made a grilled version of the pie and was quite pleased with the outcome. Here's how I did it:

First I rolled out my pizza dough into a long flat piece, using a cookie sheet to shape it.

Then I added a thin layer of store bought pesto. You can buy some in the same isle that you find your spaghetti sauce and pasta.

Next came a heaping helping of mozzarella.

Next, I added crumbled bacon and chopped red onion.

I placed the pizza on tin foil and transferred to a hot grill.

Cooking time varies, but make sure it's brown and bubbly before removing.

Slice it up and get ready for a burst of flavor.

Moms, what would you put on your grilled pizza? 

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-38):
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:08 PM

bacon , onions and sausage

ethans_momma06
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Sounds delish!

No bacon topping for us though.

othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Bacon on a pizza would be wonderful

flutter523
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM
I've never grilled pizza before. But I'd like chicken and spinach
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eustacejessica
by Jess on Aug. 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Yumm! I'm going to have to make this!

babynurse244
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Did you add some chopped up spices on this? It looks like there is a green leafy chopped up spice on top - cilantro? Fresh basil? Doesn't look like the pesto, but I can't really tell. This looks really good, though!!!

lruggio
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

this is my husband's fav pizza:

white pizza, with roasted asperagus, carmelized onions, and proscuitto with arugala on top

oven:450-500

dough:

1/4 white wine

2 tbs honey

3/4 cup warm water

2 oz rapid rise yeast

aprox 3 cups flour, give or take

pizza:

ricotta cheese

mozzerella cheese

olive oil

1 head of garlic

asperagus

onion

mushrooms

1/4 lb of proscuitto

arugala

lemon

to make the dough:

add honey, wine and water together, add the yeast and stir...let it sit for a few moments until it is foamy. (while you are waiting for it to foam, put a head of garlic on aluminum foil, add olive oil, salt and pepper, whatever herbs you like, and make a package, squeezing the edges together so its all wrapped up...throw it in the oven to roast, you will use this later on the pizza) start adding the flour a cup at a time and work it in until you see it to start coming together. dump it out onto a floured surface and knead it into a ball for about 6-8 min or until it feel like warm playdoh.  oil the bottom of a bowl and throw the dough into the bowl cover and put in a warm place for it to rise for about 45 min.  when it rises, punch it down, roll it out or press it out, which ever you like...and fit it to a pan that has olive oil and corn meal in it...(here is where you take the garlic out of the oven...let it roast for about 45 min, or until it is golden brown and will squeeze out like toothpaste, lol) I bake mine at 500 degrees for about 5 min to start it...then put the toppings on it and finish it off....

to make the pizza:

carmelize the onions in a pan until they are nice and brown, same with the mushrooms....I roast my asperagus in the oven with salt pepper, whatever herbs I have at the moment and some olive oil...roast until they are about to turn brown...I put them in when I put the garlic in the oven...they will roast for about 20-30 min

squeeze the garlic into a bowl, add ricotta cheese...a pint, no more.  salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil and stir it up until the garlic is all through the ricotta.  spread a thin layer of ricotta down on the pizza...spread a layer of mozzerella cheese...then the onions, then the mushrooms, then the asperagus...a bit more mozzerella, not much just enough to anchor the proscuitto...and then the proscuitto slices...bake until golden brown and bubbly...take out and let it rest a few min...

take a lemon and squeeze like a tsp of juice into a bowl, add about 1 tsp of olive oil and whisk it...take a hand full or so of arugala, throw it into the bowl and toss to coat it...then take that and put on the pizza...cut and eat!

lruggio
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I have been going through a pizza phase lately, trying to perfect the oven pizza, lol...so I have been playing with different kinds of toppings.  the pesto with bacon and red onion has inspired me to make some pizza today, lol.  I have to see what everyone thinks of it.  I make pizza every friday night and my son brings his friends over in anticipation...its a big night, I make anywhere from 4 to 8 pizzas, of course the old stand by, pepperoni, sausage and pepper, the asperagus pizza , the margherita pizza, I even did a white pizza with clams, lol.

the one pizza that has people asking for more is the BLT pizza...its a white sauce or a red sauce pizza, whichever you like, and fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced in half...bacon that has been cooked almost to crisp, and of course mozzerella cheese.  once it is cooked and it rests for some minutes, I put on chopped fresh romaine lettuce that has been very lightly tossed with olive oil and lemon ...the cooked pizza with the fresh "salad" on top is crazy good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN