Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

After School Treats Made Easy

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 63 Replies
2 moms liked this

It's back to school time in much of the United States, and that means that many of us have to change up our schedules. Gone are the days of lazy meals and grabbing a snack from the pantry at any random time. Now those oh so fun late night dinners must cease and desist. Your kids - and you, by default - must now try to wiggle back into routine meal and snack times.

Let's talk snacks.

One of my own children's favorite snacks is the ubiquitous cookie. There's not usually much to recommend in a cookie, though - other than, of course, deliciousness. I've toyed with different cookie recipes, trying to decrease the sugar and increase the protein and I've found very little success. It just seems that there's really no way to make a cookie good for you.

But the no bake peanut butter oatmeal cookie is an anomaly. Do you remember it? Melt 1 stick of  butter with 4 T cocoa, 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of milk. When it boils, stir in 3 cups oats and 1 cup of peanut butter and drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper - once cooled, they are a handful of yumminess that make for a decent snack, especially if you have a glass of milk alongside.

Yes. I know that they have butter AND sugar - but I've done some experimenting and I've successfully reduced the amount of sugar and added additional peanut butter - and I didn't say that they were super healthy - just sort of healthy. Don't forget to use the parchment paper - I've been out of it and tried dropping the hot mixture onto a plate, and the results weren't anything good.The parchment paper works like a dream, allowing the cookies to cool and solidify without any stickiness issues that ruin the looks of a good cookie.

If you have a peanut butter allergy to contend with, I've made these with both soy butter and sun butter. They look exactly the same, but this substitution means that your child can take them to a peanut free lunch table.

Do you have a favorite after school cookie snack that is a healthy choice?

ŠiStockphoto.com/limpido

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

graham crackers dipped in milk

slw123
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

We have been making the no bake cookies since I was a kid.  They are so good!  We call them 'cat food' cookies, since that's what they look like =)

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids usually grab fruit or.crackers or cheese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM

pumpkin cookies!

othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

The kids don't usually have cookies after school. They will have a granola bar, fruit, nutrigrain bar, ect

othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Quoting goddess99:

pumpkin cookies!

Never tried pumpkin cookies

Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Fruit and cheese are a gave here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Quoting slw123:

We have been making the no bake cookies since I was a kid.  They are so good!  We call them 'cat food' cookies, since that's what they look like =)

Lol, love the name for the cookies.  I love no bake cookies but that last ones I did were still really gooey

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids love fruit so that is normally what they have.

sukainah
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM

We eat dinner soon after my son comes home from school, so there is no snack after school, but he does have a bedtime snack.   Although, it's usually some yogurt.  I'll have to give these peanut butter and oat cookies a try to give him something different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement