Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

After School Treats Made Easy

Posted by   + Show Post

It's back to school time in much of the United States, and that means that many of us have to change up our schedules. Gone are the days of lazy meals and grabbing a snack from the pantry at any random time. Now those oh so fun late night dinners must cease and desist. Your kids - and you, by default - must now try to wiggle back into routine meal and snack times.

Let's talk snacks.

One of my own children's favorite snacks is the ubiquitous cookie. There's not usually much to recommend in a cookie, though - other than, of course, deliciousness. I've toyed with different cookie recipes, trying to decrease the sugar and increase the protein and I've found very little success. It just seems that there's really no way to make a cookie good for you.

But the no bake peanut butter oatmeal cookie is an anomaly. Do you remember it? Melt 1 stick of  butter with 4 T cocoa, 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of milk. When it boils, stir in 3 cups oats and 1 cup of peanut butter and drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper - once cooled, they are a handful of yumminess that make for a decent snack, especially if you have a glass of milk alongside.

Yes. I know that they have butter AND sugar - but I've done some experimenting and I've successfully reduced the amount of sugar and added additional peanut butter - and I didn't say that they were super healthy - just sort of healthy. Don't forget to use the parchment paper - I've been out of it and tried dropping the hot mixture onto a plate, and the results weren't anything good.The parchment paper works like a dream, allowing the cookies to cool and solidify without any stickiness issues that ruin the looks of a good cookie.

If you have a peanut butter allergy to contend with, I've made these with both soy butter and sun butter. They look exactly the same, but this substitution means that your child can take them to a peanut free lunch table.

Do you have a favorite after school cookie snack that is a healthy choice?

©iStockphoto.com/limpido

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
my4kids274
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Kids love peanut butter and apples.

AngelPooh
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I like getting whole grain triscuits and adding a bit of shredded cheese and zapping them in the microwave for 30 seconds. they can be made like mini pizzas with mozzarella and a little pepperoni too. my kids gobble them up and they are more filling than other snacks so they arent hungry right away again. cookies are a treat but would rather give them goldfish or pretzels, something with less sugar.

Willow.wind
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Apple slices dip in peanut butter
ljanlin
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Shredded cheese on flour tortillas, microwaved for 15 seconds each. They can make them themselves or I do it for them. Fast, easy and satisfying!

VAGal25
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Apples and peanut butter, or cheese and crackers

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The kids do love oreos if we have them

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quoting VAGal25:

Apples and peanut butter, or cheese and crackers

My kids love apples and peanut butter or aplles and caramel

akunyos
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Quoting othermom:

The kids don't usually have cookies after school. They will have a granola bar, fruit, nutrigrain bar, ect

Nutri-grain bars have as much or more SUGAR (in the form of high fructose corn syrup)  than cookies! Just because it's called "nutri-grain" does not make it healthy:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/262344-nutri-grain-bar-nutrition-information/

http://www.fitsugar.com/Nutri-Grain-Bars-So-Healthy-156532

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I know the nutri grain bars are not really healthy, but tey like them and are easy to store in the car for snacks after school while we are running around.

Quoting akunyos:

Quoting othermom:

The kids don't usually have cookies after school. They will have a granola bar, fruit, nutrigrain bar, ect

Nutri-grain bars have as much or more SUGAR (in the form of high fructose corn syrup)  than cookies! Just because it's called "nutri-grain" does not make it healthy:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/262344-nutri-grain-bar-nutrition-information/

http://www.fitsugar.com/Nutri-Grain-Bars-So-Healthy-156532

shortcake82418
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM

do you have a link for a good recipe?

Quoting othermom:

Quoting goddess99:

pumpkin cookies!

Never tried pumpkin cookies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement