Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What's your favorite recipe to cook for the kids this time of year?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM
  • 369 Replies
6 moms liked this

We gave moms Reynolds Oven Bags and Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners. All moms were asked to try a new recipe using the products they received. 

Check out what recipes our moms made! Then, click here for ideas on how to cook with Reynolds Oven Bags and click here for ideas on how to cook with Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners. 

As the kids head back to school, what do you like to serve them for dinner during the week?

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CafeMom Team
by Group Owner on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Check out what some of our influencer moms said about Oven Bags and Slow Cooker Liners.

new_mom808 says:
I've been wanting to try quinoa and we love cumin anything. The recipe was super easy, and delicious. I was a little concerned about pouring hot liquid into a bag, but it really stood up nicely. Dinner was a hit, and the best part was, because of the oven bag, clean up was a breeze!!!

michiganmom116 says:
LOVE the thought that I can cook in the crock pot with no more soaking and scrubbing the crock pot afterward.  Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners will be on my shopping list from now on!

brownhoney21 says:
I got crock pot liners. I made chili. It was very good. Clean up was a breeze. I don't use my crock pot a lot because the clean up was a lot of work but with the liners it was done in no time. I had more time to spend with my girls.

I_luv_my_boys3 says:
It was honestly the BEST dish I've ever had! It was so yummy that usually we have left over but today everything was gone. Everyone kept getting seconds. My DH says it's so delicious :) & my DS begged me to cook some more for tomorrow's dinner again. So I have tilapia fillets thawing in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner :) Even my toddler kept eating & eating until he couldn't fit anymore in his tummy :)  I saved my coupon so I can go and stock up on some more Reynolds Oven Bags because seriously it's the best!

countrygirlkat says:
I ended up choosing a wonderful Mexican chicken recipe called Speedy Chicken and Black Bean Burritos.  We all sat down to eat and everybody loved it.  My husband said he wants me to make it again and he was impressed with how moist the meat stayed because it was all cooked in the bag together.  It was so tasty and the bags made for yummy cooking and easy clean up! 

mem82 says:
The slow cooker brownies really intrigued me but I decide to let my family vote on what they wanted. The Ribs was the hands down winner. The recipe was a major success. All six of us, including my one year old, enjoyed the extremely tender pork loin with its tangy but not spicy flavor. The kids and I went back for seconds and my husband actually went back for thirds.

Keep reading for more great stories from our influencers.

SuperPickle
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Holding my spot! Cant wait to get them!

Hello everyone! I was chosen to review Slow Cooker Liners. I went through the suggested recipes but decided to strike out on my own because we have some special food needs.

I have to say I LOVE slow cooker liners. I have been using them for some time and I will NOT use my crock pot with out them!

For an easy school morning (and since we had just gone blackberry picking)we decided to make a recipe for Slow Cooker Blackberry Steel Cut Oats. It is SO simple and using Slow Cooker Liners make the clean up so easy.

Right before I sent my kids off to bed bed my kids and I threw in the ingredients. 

2 cups Steel Cut Oats

4 cups water

4 cups milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup ground flax

2 cups fresh black berries

Then right before I headed off to bed I set my cooker to low and turned in for the night.

In the AM , a quick stir and breakfast is READY!

As you can see here, the sides are rather sticky and it is TERRIBLE to try to scrub off a bare crock. I absoluetly wont make this kind of recipe without liners. The liners make the clean up so simple. 

Give them a scoop with some sliced almonds and a few more fresh berries and they have a filling breakfast that keeps them going all morning( or as my mom always says, sticks to your ribs)

On that note I will ALWAYS continue to have a good supply of Slow Cooker Liners on hand. I use my slow cooker several times a week and the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners are totally worth it! (by the way they are BPA free!)

Thank you Cafemom and Reynolds!

ginger813
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I can't believe how fast mine came! I got them yesterday:) It worked out perfect, because I was already planning on making a roast anyway, so I used the oven bags the same day they came. I put the roast and some fresh veggies inside the bag, and cooked it, and I have to say, it turned out perfectly!! I will definitely buy some more of these:) The next thing I plan on cooking with them is a turkey. I'm sure it'll turn out great!

VisionSeeker
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I'm waiting on mine.  I can't wait to try something new.  Hunting for a new recipe is always fun!!!!

ProudMomof5Boys
by Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I received the Reynolds Oven bags. I decided to try the chicken and sausage jambalaya recipe. When trying to new recipe I look for easy clean ups.

I've used Reynolds Oven Bags before but only to do roast. I was pleased the way the meal came out and most of all it was not much to clean. I allowed the kids to shake the bag up so that the ingredients would be coated with the seasoning! The kids really enjoyed this meal for lunch and asked if I would do it again. During the holidays is when I used the Reynolds Oven Bags the most. Once again thanks CM on allowing me to be apart of this program

saraface5383
by Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I was chosen for both the oven bags and slow cook liners.

The oven bags.

I chose to do a small ham, i used pineapple and brown sugar. I cant believe how this bag actually kept everything in it! It actually worked!

For another oven bag i did a chicken, heres the recipe.

1Reynolds® Oven Bag, Large Size

1tablespoon flour

1medium onion, sliced

1stalk celery, sliced

5 to 7 pound roasting chicken

1package (6 oz.) stuffing mix for chicken

Vegetable oil

Salt and pepper

Paprika

PREHEAT oven to 350°F.

SHAKE flour in Reynolds Oven Bag; place in 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

PLACE the onion and celery in oven bag. Rinse chicken; pat dry. Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions. Loosely pack stuffing inside chicken cavity. Brush chicken with oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and paprika; place chicken in oven bag on top of vegetables.

CLOSE oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top.

BAKE until meat thermometer reads 180°F, 1 3/4 to 2 hours.

Number of Servings: 6-9

This was FANTASTIC and is now a staple in our home.

I also used the slow cooker liners. I cant believe what a lifesaver these are. I will never use my crockpot without these, EVER.

Heres the recipe I used.
pound ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 jars (about 25 oz. each) pasta sauce

1(15 oz.) container ricotta cheese

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1(16 oz.) box ziti pasta, uncooked

OPEN slow cooker liner and place it inside a 5- to 6 1/2-quart slow cooker bowl. Fit liner snugly against the bottom and sides of bowl; pull top of liner over rim of bowl.

BROWN ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink. Stir in seasoning to evenly coat meat and onions. Stir in pasta sauce. Set aside.

MIX 1 cup mozzarella cheese, the ricotta and Parmesan in a medium bowl. Spoon 2 cups of the meat sauce into the lined-slow cooker; top with 2 cups uncooked ziti pasta. Drop half of the cheese mixture, by rounded tablespoons, over pasta; carefully spread over pasta using back of spoon. Layer with 2 cups meat sauce, the remaining pasta and the remaining cheese mixture. Top with the remaining meat sauce, completely covering all the pasta and cheese mixture. Place lid on slow cooker.

COOK on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until noodles are tender.

CAREFULLY remove lid to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle food with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese; let stand 10 minutes until melted. Serve food directly from lined-slow cooker. Do not lift or transport liner with food inside. Cool slow cooker completely; remove liner and toss.

This came out alot better than I thought, I really never thought noodles would be good in the slow cooker but I was wrong! Fanstastic!
I will honestly never use my crockpot without these liners!

Thank you for choosing me CM and Reynolds!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I'm waiting on mine, I want to try the apple recipe!

LadySaphira
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I can't wait until my bags come! I already use the slow cooker bags when I make pulled port for my family and they are great.  I love them! The slow cooker bags make clean up 100x easier. No more having to soak the crock to get it clean.

I received the slow cooker bags and my kids and I made the hot fudge brownies! They were simple to make, yummy and it was great not having a mess to clean up! I will definaitly be trying some of the other recipes.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

aidansmommy219
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail. Can't wait to try something new!

ETA: I got the crockpot liners in the mail yesterday so this morning I went ahead and put the liner in the crockpot and then added all of my ingredients to make black bean chili with lime and cilantro. It turned out great and there was no mess!! I can't even begin to explain how awesome this is. I love using the crockpot on the days that I have to work and go to school because there's just no time to make a healthy meal otherwise. The only downside to the crockpot is the hassle of cleaning it out and this just eliminated that. I will definitely buy these for future use. Here's the link to the recipe I made :) http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/01/recipe-for-crockpot-black-bean-chili.html

Thank you Cafemom and Reynold's!

MamaJane
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hi I'm Jane.  I'm the mom of 3, Courtney(14), Cameron (12) and Trevor (8).  We have a rule in our family and it's that no one can do more then one activity, however they all picked the most intense activities out there!  So we are on the go every week night.  I make most of our food from as scratch as humanly possible, so I've found some tricks to make it easier in our busy evenings.  I freezer cook a lot or I'll make a casserole or something in the crock pot that can be made early in the day since once 2:30 hits, all bets are off.  However I still have clean up and those crock pots are not always fun to clean.  I've thought of getting the bags but haven't yet.  I'm excited for mine to come! 

Edit in red.  I decided to go another route and none of the other recipes fit with mashed potatoes. 

I've already picked out the recipes I'm using.  I'm going to make mashed potatoes in the crock pot and I'm using another of the bags in my oval crock pot to make BBQ shredded chicken (my own recipe).  I like the recipes.  I will go back and try more of the crock pot recipes.  The thing I didn't like was that several of the recipes I looked at had large amount of packaged items in them.  Like meatballs with an ingredient of "packaged frozen meatballs".  When I'm looking for a recipe it's because I want to make it.  I get turned off by that.

More to come...

I got my bags on Wed evening (Sep 5).  This morning I prepared both crock pots. (will load pictures later, they aren't going in right now)

Prep was easy and I was happy that the bags fit really well on both my tall, round and shorter, oval pot. The bag fits really snug and doesn't fall down the sides.  I threw in my chicken and then the sauce I'd mixed together in a bowl.  I then peeled and cut the potatoes and threw the spices in on top.  Prep time was 45 minutes. (I'm slow) I cooked each meal on low per directions. 

The potatoes got brown.  I've never done them in a crock pot so I don't know if that's normal.  They weren't very good either. Also I had to put them in 2 separate bowls to mix.  The recipe said to mix in the crock pot.  There's no way to stir with it in the bag.  So far, 4 of us have eaten and it's thumbs down on the potatoes. 

The chicken, however, was great.  It pulled apart easily, served easily right out of the pot and was a huge hit.

Clean up! Clean up was pretty simple! The bag pulls right out with no leaks, no sticky, burnt on mess.  I did run some soap and water on the pots anyway.  One problem I had was the condensation build up under the bag.  On my chicken, there was actually a little BBQ sauce down there.  Still no big deal. 

Over all I did like the bags.  They were easy to use and clean up was a breeze. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN