Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

off topic - donating blood

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 32 Replies
Have you ever donated blood? I coordinated a blood drive for work; it is on Tuesday. I am donating for the first time & am a little nervous, but I'm sure it will be ok!
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
salamandersmom
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I haven't.  For some reason, when they bring the needle, I pass out.  I'm not afraid, but the whole blood thing just makes me weak and dizzy and then, plop.  And, they won't take blood from you if you are a fainter. 

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I have not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM
No I haven't
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 3:00 AM

I've donated over a dozen times.   The first time was when I was 17, and my high school had a blood drive on campus.  I admit, I signed up initially because it would get me out of my least favorite class for a day.  I really hate needles, but I hated that class even more.  The registration and testing was a breeze (except for the hemoglobin test, which hurts more than the actual donation).  I was so nervous, but the phlebotomist I had was awesome.  She was very patient, and I barely felt the needle go in.  I got a little dizzy after the blood was drawn, but it wasn't too bad.  They just had be lay down with my feet elevated for about five minutes, and the dizziness passed.  Then, I was able to go to the canteen.  After school, my mom was so shocked and impressed that I actually went through with it that she took me out to eat.  Now, it's a tradition for us.  Whenever I give blood, she takes me out for lunch or dinner.

kellynh
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Yes, I have O- so it was my duty... No I am not elligale... My iron is to low and i have malabsorption issues... So getting it adequate is close t mpossible
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Yes, I have donated several times. I have trouble replacing the blood that I donate, so I have to donate on a day that I know I'll have several days to rest.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Nope

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I haven't because I was always too sick to do it when we lived near a donation place.  Now that I am better and healthy there isn't one near us at all.  DH has done it before though. 

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Nope I wouldn't.....

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I have not. I am not allowed to because I do not weigh enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN